1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight line race what would win VXR Corsa VXR Astra or S3

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by rhubarb4, Jan 28, 2009.

1. glen_jai

glen_jai Member

[Jan 29, 2009]
    You're probably right 1animal1. Just my simple view on the physics.
    The lack of 4wd, will probably mean the VXR has more trouble getting off the line.

But your times of 14.8 s I'm sure is quicker than a "standard, non-remapped" 8L S3.
    And then, if you remap the VXR, then bye bye....
  2. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

[Jan 29, 2009]
    yup i think your right Glen, but im mapped and the VXR's ive played with (i know one wasnt for definate) wasnt mapped:icon_thumright:
  3. glen_jai

glen_jai Member

[Jan 29, 2009]
    Can't be much in it.
    Personally I don't like vauxhalls, but you got to admit that the Astra VXR would get most of us worried.
  4. A3_Turbo

A3_Turbo Swaying towards IHI....

[Jan 29, 2009]
    Transmission losses are huge on the S3. Have to go with the VXR on this one, i reckon it'd win hands down no contest. Maybe some-one can find something on you-tube?

Jason
  5. Essflee

Essflee Well-Known Member

[Jan 29, 2009]
    To be fair I don't think they'd be a lot in it either way, obviously S3 being mapped...VXR standard...
  6. glen_jai

glen_jai Member

[Jan 29, 2009]
    I think more and more VXRs will be mapped nowadays anyway, so comparing a mapped S3 against a standard VXR is a null point really.

I had run into what must've been a remapped or tuned Focus ST a few months back, and I only managed to pull away from him slowly..... And standard they have less power than a VXR, so you can imagine that a tuned VXR would piss all over our S3s.

Sorry, probably not what guys on here want to hear, but just trying to be objective.
  7. 1animal1

[Jan 29, 2009]
    objective is good lol

seems they have the same convos as us haha http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=22962&highlight=astra+vxr+1%2F4+mile+mapped&page=9 including our friend with the ed30 who posted a few months back....

quickest i can see a standard VXR astra doing the 1/4mile in is 14.5secs, although only spotted a couple of mapped figures @ 14.6 so either theres a shortage of mapped versions or some seriously **** drivers...

Focus ST, actually played with several...Glen after your kit fitted there should be quite a bit in it, they run out off puff quicker than you think!
  8. Mr.G

Mr.G Active Member

9. 1animal1

[Jan 29, 2009]
    not really cos ive actually applied the logic to several events ....obviously theres loads to account for but i know what happend when i have had a go with the St's or vice versa

my last attempt the fella pulled away at lights, i didnt but second set decided to have a go once we were rolling, pushed him from behind then over took slowly..... maybe a heat soak issue?
  10. Mr.G

Mr.G Active Member

[Jan 29, 2009]
    So an ST you didnt pull away from at the lights? How does that work? Did you launch it or were you afraid to?

G
  11. 1animal1

[Jan 29, 2009]
  12. MintyS3

MintyS3 Works 60% the time, Everytime.

[Jan 29, 2009]
    How about in reverse grear? Anyone tried that? :undwech:
  13. 1animal1

[Jan 29, 2009]
    sounds good fund :laugh:
  14. MintyS3

MintyS3 Works 60% the time, Everytime.

[Jan 29, 2009]

I see one little gimp admitted to driving at 150mph with 5 people in the car...stupid.
  15. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

[Jan 29, 2009]
    The more this thread goes on the more incredulous I get, I can't believe this sort of question has been asked on a civilised forum!
  16. 1animal1

[Jan 29, 2009]
    cars are a masculin thing mate....we all know that...cant actually see why this type of convo is such a suprise to you.....
  17. FazS3

FazS3 Member

[Jan 29, 2009]
    interesting thread....never had an issue with any ST or VXR that i have come up against

My S3 always pulls away
  18. S3mad

S3mad Dark Knight

[Jan 29, 2009]
    And who really cares :wtf:
  19. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 29, 2009]
    Of course your S3 is just very standard right? ;)

:blackrs4:
  20. Yaz

Yaz Member

[Jan 29, 2009]
    1000% hit the nail on the head mate!
  21. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

[Jan 29, 2009]
    I do understand what you're on about, its just the "what's quicker in a straight line" question normally resides over on vauxhall/ford forums right next to "who's got more stickers" and "who's got the biggest cock"
  22. ianysm

ianysm Active Member

[Jan 29, 2009]
    0-60 / 0-100 times are pointless. Its A-B where it counts. On most of the greasy country lanes i drive, i'd much rather be in a Quattro S3 than an overpowered front driver!
  23. danny_s3

danny_s3 Member

[Jan 29, 2009]
    when i was up london last year at a vauxhall meet,
    was in a chipped s3 and off the lights the corsa vxr was quick till bout 60 ish and then the s3 had the edge.as for
    the astra it left the s3 for dead , however both vauxhall had just the driver
    and we had over 40 stone of people in the s3 ,dont no if vauxhall were chipped,
    tuned but they went well.however as already said it all boils down to the bends
    and at the end of the day you buy an audi for its comfort and build quailty.
  24. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Well-Known Member Regional Rep

[Jan 29, 2009]
    I have had mates with both the VXR astra and a DC2 integra type r.
    The VXR was running a courtney stage 2 kit ( said to be 320bhp) but i pulled about a 2 car lengths on it on a road we use as a bench mark, I well and truely beat the integra ( with a much better driver in it ) its wrong to compare these cars as i say to my friends...
    Our cars are aimed at diffrent markets so in my opinion top their own class but never in the same
  25. 1animal1

[Jan 29, 2009]
    yup, i think it can be made to look stupid obvously depending on the comments made.... we all like to know what we can get away with..... it need not be a taboo subject, although notoriously associated with VX and Ford forums.... these are our major threat (or could be seen as)... these are the cars that want to play, the 8L is getting older which means 2 things

1 it gets picked on more by other newer cars because its a hot hatch classic and they always wanted to beat 1

2 because the S3 is a more affordable car now so people that couldnt afford can now

thats how i would catagorise peoples comments (not entirely right), i personally just enjoy showing these VXR's and ST's that they arent the be all and end all - even though mapped they would most likely pull a lead (but not slaughter the S3)

my 2p;)
  26. Mr.G

Mr.G Active Member

[Jan 29, 2009]
    The point still stands......

It's what a car "says" to someone that speaks a thousand words.

Nothing to do with being a threat! Don't get me wrong Animal i totally understand what you are trying to say but to me an ST or VXR will never be a threat as i've no interest in them or how fast they are or what type of idiot is driving them. They want a race.......why give it to them? What do you have to prove? That your car has 4WD and looses power through transmission, has less horse power to weight ratio to start with and is in a totally different class to start with? Most people who own an S3, VXR or ST whatever know this already mate.

****** to the VXR and ST....

Get a nice setup going, hybrid k04, re-map and a few accessories, good for 300hp and quietly show these new contenders that the S3 isn't dead yet, "if" that is your thing!

However "if " it is not your thing then be happy that you have a better car to start with, which (and i dont care what anyone says) speaks absolute volumes about the driver behind the wheel. All the people that i've seen driving these cars have something to prove and wear baseball caps turned backwards, use anti-spot cleaning gel every morning & clearly have little class about them!

There really is nothing more to say!

G
  27. 1animal1

[Jan 29, 2009]
    :laugh: love the description and totally understand where your coming from.... i drive reasonable most of the time myself which may be why i bite when pushed? apologies if the comments seemed a lil chav.... gets to me how a select few who have no experience of the above cars can suggest that they would kick ass and woop our beloved S3's...when it simply isnt the case

cars at this level are much of a muchness, so many things can determine an outcome, the S3 still holds its own - the integrity of the car is intact when heard in vxr/st conversations:icon_thumright:
  28. Yaz

Yaz Member

[Jan 29, 2009]
    At the end of the day most people 'in the know' no matter what they drive will respect the S3 for what it is and not necessarily for what it can do. I can certainly vouch for this myself!
  29. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[Jan 30, 2009]
    I still see 8L S3s on the road and think "that's a lovely car'...I wish I still had mine".

Sadly though, I'm starting to see 8L S3s with polished cheap-ass massive wheels, dumped on it's sump, pimp tints and hey-ooge exhausts...and think "Oh Christ...I'm so pleased I sold mine".

A lovely car, easily ruined.
  30. Jacko4130

Jacko4130 Goodie Gum Drops

[Jan 30, 2009]

You mean Kebab Gangster style ess....
  31. 1animal1

[Jan 30, 2009]
    couldnt agree more, i know i have my stance on things but the S3 is a car that should remain as close to OEM as possible..... its as bad as seeing a TT with Lexus lights!!! firstly why downgrade to Lexus lights and in the same breath lose £400 to make the car look s**t.....
  32. Yaz

Yaz Member

[Jan 30, 2009]
    Yeah but thats down to personal preference surely, not that i'm saying i like Lexus lights... i dont think you can really say what you just said unless its meant for yourself.
    Dont get me wrong, i do agree with you to some extent but not everyone will look at it that way.
  33. 1animal1

[Jan 30, 2009]
    appreciate that yaz, and this is an educated view rather than a snobby view..... the taste gets worse the more affordable these cars get.......
  34. Yaz

Yaz Member

[Jan 30, 2009]
    Well i think that inevitable really, but what can you do...

Its the same scenario as the TT, they have become more affordable now and a lot of people who are buying the TT know absolutely nothing about it other than the fact they like the look of it and can now afford to have one!

The main thing is the people who know about these cars (S3 & TT, etc) will enjoy the luxury and refinement for Mondeo money:beerchug:
  35. S3quatt

S3quatt Flat Oot like a ducks Foot

[Jan 31, 2009]
    A bit like the old WV advert...
    Some things are better left alone.
  36. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[Jan 31, 2009]
    Kebab Gangster! :applaus:
    Nice...I'll remember that one.
  37. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[Jan 31, 2009]
    Yeah...enhanced, rather than ruined.

But, as always...each to their own.

OEM+ to many is boring.
    The Pimped up, Hood Rat, Lowrider, Bling-bling, Kebab Gangster (should that be Gangsta?) look just doesn't do it for me.