1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight line race what would win VXR Corsa VXR Astra or S3

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by rhubarb4, Jan 28, 2009.

1. rhubarb4

rhubarb4 Certified Jardo Slayer

Hi just seen one on the road looked pretty mean the Astra but just wondered about the above question. And where would the S3 come.
  2. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

if all were standard, the ashtray VXR would destroy an S3....

I came up against one in my A3, and I was quite shocked by it's performance!
  3. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

remapped S3 is a winner
  4. S3BLX

S3BLX Member

If all were standard then the astra 1st dunno for 2nd and 3rd. If you were asking which is the nicest car...........the s3 is the clear winner! :yes:
  5. rhubarb4

Would that be a Revo'd S3 or CC'd one or is it the same for both.
  6. s3_kev

s3_kev Stage2'd!!!!!!

s3 quicker then the corsa my freind has one never had a burn up though but it felt slower then mine was before the re-mapp, as for the astra in a staright line with an un-mapped s3 possibly quicker but would lose on a track but a mapped s3 would make one look silly on the track too
  7. Ibzzzzz

Ibzzzzz Member

You may laugh, but I was in a Skoda Octavia vRS that had 1.8 20vT and about 180bhp....Blew a Corsa VXR away in a straight line and we had the driver, me and another friend, while the Corsa only had a 2 weedy kids in it...
  8. voorhees

Ermm I only have a Revo remap....whats a CC'd :eyebrows:

depends whos driving the s3 on the track Kev...have you seen the RS4 prang at Castle Combe with not the right person behind the wheel
  9. rhubarb4

Had a look on Superchips you can get the Astra remapped to 300bhp ouch that would hurt the S3 I think :scared2:
  10. rhubarb4

Ha lol how biased you are lol
  11. voorhees

yes but its a poxall at the end of the day........am not biased :whistle2:
  12. rhubarb4

Too true lol
  13. Ian W

Ian W Active Member

The Astra could win hands down but I wouldn't want to drive it !

To much boyracer and no S3 class :)
  14. voorhees

is there an Echo in ear

in ear
  15. HTC

HTC Active Member

It's like the Elise vs VX220. The Vauxhall is the better car (when they were released) but you'd still go for the Elise.

Badge means alot..........it shouldn't but it just does.
  16. voorhees

Sorry but I think the build quality of VAG is a damn sight better than Vauxhall (and the price)
  17. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!!

sorry but i dont agree, i posted a while back about messing with a nurburgring edition Astra VXR, albeit in the wet - this was on a bypass, yep it would be close on the dry as i have had a lil mess with another which wasnt entirely conclusive ie not all in the VXR's favour, but in the wet it was the S3 all the way

300bhp in the astra mapped? it cant put the power down that it already has, how in the feck will it manage to put 300bhp, not even mentioning its huge torquesteering problems

cc - Revo = same:jester:
  18. Mr.G

Mr.G Active Member

Hmmm.....

While the S3 is an awesome car (i'm bias - lol) the Astra is still a great car. It has all the right ingredients for a hot hatch and does what it does fairly well. The torque steer issue is apparent in all hot hatches with a fair amount of power & front wheel drive, so nothing new there really. The only car i have ever driven and have been a passenger in at high speeds while on a track/private road is the Integra Type R DC2, which i must say is the also the best front wheel drive car i've driven purely based on driveability is the Integra Type R DC2. Awesome car, would out handle and always ben in front of the S3. It's composed and poised and has 220Hp if it's an import. Rare cars and if i hadn't bought the S3 the DC2 is what i would have gone for. It's lacking in build and seems tin like, but boy does it go and go around corners even better.

The Astra VXR appeals to a different market in my opinion, more of a younger audience for want of a better word. Loud colours, big grills and bigger wheels all make for what to me is something i'd look for in a car when i was 20 years old. I've never been a fan of vauxhalls or fords for that matter. Having owned many many fords, i quickly stopped buying them after i'd seen and bought an M3.

The S3, understated looks, class, oooozes money & sophistication and this is the reason i'm on my third one. When the time comes i'll upgrade to the 8P or the 8x???

There really is no point in trying to compare the three cars in question, as the two vauxhalls are very different cars to begin with. 2WD compared to 4WD, smaller engine, weight, build quality, price, research & development, heritage etc etc.....the list could go on.

Just my opinioin, i'm neither right or wrong.

G
  19. 1animal1

fair point G, totally agree with the integra info based on what i have read....although some things go without saying....

Regarding the torque steer on the VX, it is noticeably more so than your usual fwd hot hatch, this has been proven time and time again by various reviews, tv etc etc - plus ive seen it happening!! they are not entirely different, my response was based on those that said the S3 would lose without doubt - this is utter ****, unless anyone else has an experiance they care to tell of? times like this i would normally google 1/4mile times (when i can be bothered)
  20. Ian W

Ian W Active Member

I didn't say it would win, I said it could do and I really couldn't care less :gaehn: :laugh:

I've never had any kind of *race* in my S3, no ones ever tried lol

Heres one to stir the pot though...before I bought my S3 I raced one in my old 2L Corsa and wiped the floor with it ! (It was obvioulsy not mapped and it was dry :laugh:)
  21. Mr.G

Mr.G Active Member

Hey Animal....been meaning to ask this for ages. What is SymII HU??
  22. Ian W

Ian W Active Member

Sympthony 2 Head Unit I would assume :yum:
  23. Mr.G

Mr.G Active Member

There's 1 reason why people don't try to race an S3, most respect & like the car for what it is. Hooligans in Nova's/max power corsa's etc can't compete to start with. It's nothing to do with the "speed" of a car or what would win in a straight line race, the S3 was never meant to be anything but a good all rounder with some stunning looks and nice toys.

It's what a car "says" to someone that speaks a thousand words.

I have a friend with a DC2, he wipes the floor with my S3. But, it is a tuned car and honed for the track to start with, Audi haven't made a car like that since the UR Quattro, most of it's cars now are very heavy and although still fast they lack the rawness that is the DC2 and UR Quattro!

G
  24. Mr.G

Mr.G Active Member

So is concert2 better that symphony2?

I'm not that up of the differences!
  25. Ian W

Ian W Active Member

Yes, I bought the S3 as a nice all rounder which is why i'm not bothered if its faster or slower than an Astra VXR :sm4:
  26. 1animal1

hey im no differnet, i bought it as a great all rounder too..... just icing on the cake when you dont get beasted by these guys in VXR's and ST's that assume they are the quickest on the road:laugh:

SymII is the double DIN head unit Mr G, has 6 cd built in to dash with tape if your old:beerchug:
  27. Mr.G

Mr.G Active Member

Lol....i have a tape deck in mine too but it's not double din and i dont have CD player either. LOL....not happy but will be getting a cd changer from somewhere soon, Radio is doing my head in.

G
  28. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

back on topic, a little more.....

why does the VXR suffer so much from torque steer? torque levels from the factory are really fairly low, it's only got 236lbft!!! my A3 puts down 290lbft and doesn't suffer from torque steer at all really.....
  29. MintyS3

MintyS3 Works 60% the time, Everytime.

On paper the Astra is quicker than the S3, I guess driver and conditions apply.

RE above DC2 and S3 couldnt be more different. Import certainly isnt 220bhp though, perhaps its claimed to be that on "jap fuel" but they dont see that much here in the UK. Tend to be between 190-200bhp.

Those Corsa's are heavy and slow. Going same way as most hot hatches these days.
  30. S3quatt

S3quatt Flat Oot like a ducks Foot

As much as i hate to admit it, in a straight line the astra wins. Period.

My mate had one & we tried it out.

Astra
    S3
    Corsa

:(
  31. scott_johnson

scott_johnson Audiless

I thought id have my 2p on this subject!!

My mate had a amd mapped b5 rs4 (400+bhp)..entered a bypass with an astra vxr on his tail and could only pull maybe 1 car length every few seconds away from it! He obviously won but from what i saw was a damn quick car!

I certainly wouldnt like to pull aside a mapped astra vxr in a mapped s3. Off the line obviously an s3 may have an edge but straight line performance and a weight advantage a vxr would win!!!

Ill give the little corsa credit, it has good seats!!! lol.

SJ
  32. Mr.G

Mr.G Active Member

Rolling road print out showed 210Hp. Not bad for a 1996 Car. Still no matter what power it had it "is" quicker than my S3 by a fair margin too.
  33. Essflee

Essflee Active Member

It would be easier to get a quick pull away out of the S3 but once rolling I reckon even a mapped S3 is going to have problems with the Astra... I love my S3 and would never consider one of the other two, but unfortunately the S3 isn't invinsible...
  34. 1animal1

i dont think any of us think it is invincible.... i know the spec edition i went against wasnt mapped so may be different.... obviously there loads of things to consider...whats the best 1/4 mile times on the astras, anyone?

Prawn, the last GSI was renowned for it and so is this, Vauxhall notoriously produce high power cars with no means to put it down..... dunno why, just the way it is
  35. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

I had an astra SRI Turbo for a while, it was quicker and handled better than my GTI but the seat came apart and the headlining was all floppy and ****.
  36. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

When I used to see S3s on the road I used to think they were so rapid but now I have one I realise that their performance is quite average. Unfortunately the 8L is getting on a bit now and needs more than just a stage1 remap to keep up with some of the newer cars about.

Before I bought the S3 I contemplated Astra VXR or an integra DC5. I went for the S3 because of its all round ability and grown up looks. I'm passed driving to work in a suit and a stripped out car that breaks down every few days. The main thing for me was the 4 wheel drive because I've never owned a 4 wheel drive car. I'd still consider a VXR when the price comes down and it would have to be in black instead of one of the bright colours.
  37. Gareth_RS3

Gareth_RS3 Member

Not a big fan of the vauxhalls tbh and im 20 so not all about age i just think they are a bit chavy thats all and its a vauxhall (yes im a badge snob), they are quick tho, had a run in with one not long ago and there was nothing in it really astra started about two cars lengths ahead and stayed there or there abouts until silly speeds, mine has been mapped too, mind you i was five up and he only had one passenger, so i reckon in the dry a mapped s3 and a standard i presume astra are about the same in a straight line from my experience anyway, my 2p
  38. glen_jai

glen_jai Member

VXR would win, because it is lighter, has more power, and less transmission losses to deal with.
  39. HTC

HTC Active Member

I want to see someone post this same question on a Vauxhall forum.
  40. 1animal1

lol yup HTC...good point...is anyone a member?

Glen, unless you have anything to back what your saying up, what your saying is meaningless, it isnt as straight as its lighter and more powerful so thats it....

Googling the 1/4 mile times of an astra VXR, standard comes up @ approx 14.8's.....so not too different to the S3...think best remapped S3 time ive seen is 14secs..... unless anyone knows any different?