stop start problem.

Leyton388

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just a quick one but I have recently noticed over the past few days that my stop start appears to have stopped working on my 2011 A4

Last week I pulled up to some lights, put my foot on the break, put the car into natural and the engine cut out however I got a message on my dash saying stop start disabled please reinsert key.

I thought nothing of it at the time but whenever I come to a stop now I get the stop start message on my dash with a line through it.

Has anyone had anything similar?

Thanks

Is the car fully heated up and done a long run from start up in the morning. Start/top only works when the car is at optimum running temp and the battery has been recharged enough to cater for the extra load of SS. If the battery is not reaching full storage then SS will not work, could point to a battery or charging issue.

Just some things to think about.

Thanks for the info. I'll certainly look into a battery issue and get the car out on a long run at the weekend.

I had the same issue when DPF want to regenerate... RPM was higher, and fuel consumption was higher too... Went to highway, step on it and no problem since then,,

Panic over guys as I've found the issue. Apparently the stop start doesn't like my heater being on full.

Turned it down today and the stop start kicked in. Thanks for the info though guys.

The stop start system is dependant on many different variables being met.. Mainly as you have said is the heating and more importantly the aircon. Saying that mine works with even the aircon turned upto max.
I personally have switched my stop start off as I think it's an inconvience! For what petrol it saves it's 'wearing' out the rest of the ignition system! Also your less likely to beat that chav in his DS3 from the lights...

Reactions: Leyton388
The stop start system is dependant on many different variables being met.. Mainly as you have said is the heating and more importantly the aircon. Saying that mine works with even the aircon turned upto max.
I personally have switched my stop start off as I think it's an inconvience! For what petrol it saves it's 'wearing' out the rest of the ignition system! Also your less likely to beat that chav in his DS3 from the lights...

Also, bare in mind it is an offence to sit with a car running unless in traffic or diagnosing a fault, start/stop was brought in to help with emissions and helps with this rule.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stationary idling is an offence under section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

The Act enforces rule 123 of the Highway Code which states: "You must not leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road."

And doing this can incur a £20 fixed-penalty fine under the Road Traffic (Vehicle Emissions) Regulations 2002. This goes up to £40 if unpaid within a given timeframe.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, bare in mind it is an offence to sit with a car running unless in traffic or diagnosing a fault, start/stop was brought in to help with emissions and helps with this rule.

Stationary idling is an offence under section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

The Act enforces rule 123 of the Highway Code which states: "You must not leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road."

And doing this can incur a £20 fixed-penalty fine under the Road Traffic (Vehicle Emissions) Regulations 2002. This goes up to £40 if unpaid within a given timeframe.
Beat me to it. Not sure if the RS4 has this system however it's yet another VW group 'cheating' mechanism to reduce the car tax bracket. More so for 'business' users..

B8.5 RS4 doesn't have it, new B9 version will have it.

Not a cheat at all, in heavy traffic it does cut emissions and save fuel.

All German manufacturers have it and its an EU must have now.

Last edited:
Mine hasn't worked in months. No visible errors and car is serviced as per book and recently had plugs replaced as there was a slight "missing" when under severe load and none of this has done anything to fix the Start Stop issue...

If the audis are anything like bmws, they have to have certain stuff met to enable to the stop start to work, also the battery has to be fully up to spec. My bmw had a battery that was slightly off 100% so stop start stopped working.

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

I have mine set to default to OFF every time I turn on the ignition.
I want my battery and starter motor/ring gear to last the whole time I own the car.

Reactions: ruairi83
Mine hasn't worked in months. No visible errors and car is serviced as per book and recently had plugs replaced as there was a slight "missing" when under severe load and none of this has done anything to fix the Start Stop issue...

Same here. Just measured the battery at 12.49-12.50 volts which I think should be enough..

Mine works 1 day and doesn't the next, I'm much happier when it's not working!

How do you set it so it defaults to off?

I have mine set to default to OFF every time I turn on the ignition.
I want my battery and starter motor/ring gear to last the whole time I own the car.

X2 have my one disabled via vcds

Stop/Start can be temperamental on Audi's, the most common reason for not working is a battery issue. Batteries have to have a certain energy stored this is why it can;t be used straight after a cold start. If you gave an is with SS then have the car scanned with VCDS and there may be an error code regarding the battery, if not there will be a code regarding the reason behind the SS failure.

Reactions: LeeHen
Mine works 1 day and doesn't the next, I'm much happier when it's not working!

How do you set it so it defaults to off?

[01 ENGINE] -> [Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 6

Bit 0 untick

[01 ENGINE] -> [Adaptation 10] ->

Channel Activation of Start/Stop function, change stored value to Not Active

[02 AUTO TRANS] -> [Adaptation 10] ->

Channel Deactivation of Start/Stop Function, change from Not Active to Active

[46 Central Conv] -> [Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 11

Bit 2 untick

Reactions: LeeHen
I'm not a fan of stop start, although it seems to work better on our second car - a manual Focus than the S4. On the S4 it restarts the engine as soon as you put the handbrake on! I raised this at the first service but was told to keep the footbrake depressed as well - not a lot of point in that and potentially annoys drivers behind with brake lights on - good idea to keep footbrake depressed and brake lights on until the car behind has stopped though, so I normally turn the stop/start off.

I've got to admit the stop start is a pain. I did eventually find out that the reason it was not working was due to my heaters being full. As soon as i turned them down it kicked in.

Amazing all of you think its a pain and turn it off.

Personally, the car is stood still for long enough I have time to take my foot off the clutch and cars out of gear, then why not have the engine stop? Doesnt affect me as a driver and its ready within a second or 2 of me seeing traffic moving ahead or the lights change from red to amber.

As for worn starters or ring gears....I doubt that will happen.

I asked at the garage I use about stop start system's when I got my bmw e90 with the system fitted. They said the starters are more hard-wearing.

Doesn't really bother me the only time it does is it McDonald's at the drove thru

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

I'm not a fan of stop start, ------ On the S4 it restarts the engine as soon as you put the handbrake on! I raised this at the first service but was told to keep the footbrake depressed as well - not a lot of point in that and potentially annoys drivers behind with brake lights on - good idea to keep footbrake depressed and brake lights on until the car behind has stopped though, so I normally turn the stop/start off.

Sounds like it would be quite good to hear someone justify that way of working! Another story I heard, maybe on here, was that the brake lights stay on when the AHH is active and holding the car, I got my wife to check that was true for my 2011 S4 - but no brake lights were lit!