Stop-Start Poll

Do you use the stop-start function?

• Yes I use it all the time.

Votes: 79 42.5%
  • No, I turn it off as soon as I start the car.

Votes: 63 33.9%
  • Depends on where I'm driving.

Votes: 44 23.7%

• Total voters

S32B

Reaction score
Just out of interest how many people use it and how many people turn it off.

I thought I was going to hate it, but it actually works pretty well.

I'll just turn it off when I'm going for a long journey, I don't like the idea of the engine shutting straight off after its been on boost without a chance to cool down.

Reactions: shady-ninja, batch and Minion Bob!
I voted yes all the time - but by that I mean, I always leave it switched on - I select use by brake pedal pressure. win win.

Reactions: leosayer1, JohnM100, Q5 TRS and 2 others
Mine is turned off permanently using VCDS

Reactions: batch
I voted yes all the time - but by that I mean, I always leave it switched on - I select use by brake pedal pressure. win win.

Same here. It's only activated about 5 times so far and thats if i've braked a bit hard by mistake.

Reactions: Ignition1 and JonathanY70
I Get Really Angry When It Won't Stop the Engine :audibash: :)

Reactions: cemerson and bluemoona3246
Can't vote on tapatalk but I love it on a manual, hate it on the automatic

I agree. It works well on my wife's A1 but it cut out just as I wanted to pull out of a junction or on to a roundabout once too often for me so I switched it off using VCDS.

I have a horrible feeling that by the time I trade in, my stop-start disable button is going to look awfully worn..:disturbed:

Reactions: S32B, andywil13 and GrumpyEngineer
I turn it off if driving hard as I don't want it suddenly cutting the engine when it's been driven hard. I was very surprised they didn't disable start stop when in dynamic mode as they do in the BMW models when in Sport / Sport +

My start up routine... Belt on, start ignition, turn off Start/Stop....

It was good in the manual as you could control it with the clutch. On the s-tronic I find it way too intrusive. Bugs me that it turns back on if you cycle through the drive select modes too :(

Reactions: Rob2k68
My start up routine... Belt on, start ignition, turn off Start/Stop....

It was good in the manual as you could control it with the clutch. On the s-tronic I find it way too intrusive. Bugs me that it turns back on if you cycle through the drive select modes too :(

If you don't have access to VCDS you need the Kufatec dongle which switches it off permanently - or until you want it back on again, when you re-insert the dongle.

made me stall, off, wish there was a way to make it permanently off, anyone know where to get the kufatec dongle?

i went for google and couldnt find anything close

Start-stop works perfectly for me, I can't understand why anyone would go to such an effort to disable it...?

Since my turbo replacement, I now switch it off on the motorways (where I often get caught in traffic jams (M25!)), and when around town. First because I want the turbo to spin down for a while with the engine running when I come to a halt (motorways), and second because I hate the stop start cutting in in town when pulling away from junctions / roundabouts etc.

In short it's off most of the time, but if it's just occasional stop starts anticipated then I leave it on.

Works good on our mini and previous BMW both manuals. It only stopped when the car was in neutral and the hand brake on. I find it a little disconcerting when my S3 some times cuts out at junctions, I know you can control it with pressure on the brake pedal but I am normally concentrating on the traffic and not how much brake pressure I need to apply to enable me to stop but not cut out the engine especially on an incline.

I do use it from time to time living and working around London. Its very controllable with the break pedal so I find it good in heavy traffic.

I would say it is off more than on though...

When stopped I tend to keep the clutch in so the SS never kicks in.

I agree. It works well on my wife's A1 but it cut out just as I wanted to pull out of a junction or on to a roundabout once too often for me so I switched it off using VCDS.

In all honesty, I only find it useful at traffic lights I know take forever to change and pulling up outside someones house - oh also at drive thru's - apart from that, I can't see much good out of it

I can understand the annoyance it causes on a DSG, but on a proper gearbox ( runs and hides ) i find it works great.

I think that might have been a more interesting poll:

S-Tronic & Hates It
S-Tronic & Loves It
Manual & Hates It
Manual & Loves It

Anecdotally it seems that most people with the manual find that the clutch pedal allows you to avoid all of the S/S downsides that you're stuck with on S-Tronic.

Shame, as I'd quite like to go S-Tronic next time around...

Reactions: cuke2u
I think that might have been a more interesting poll:

Shame, as I'd quite like to go S-Tronic next time around...

That should not stop you buying an s-tronic as it's so easy to permanently switch off the Start/Stop using VCDS as I have done.

Hate it with a passion. Always, but always, turn it off (except on the very rare occasions I forget and it then really confuses me as to what's going on when it cuts in :D )

That should not stop you buying an s-tronic as it's so easy to permanently switch off the Start/Stop using VCDS as I have done.

I think I'd have to go down that route. Whilst I love my assists and gadgets (as you well know ;) ), I do resent having to do the dashboard shuffle at the start of every journey to get the ACC configured for speed and distance and the drive select to actual ****** well use dynamic.

That said, by the time this lease expires I'm hoping to live close enough to work to go for something a bit more exciting and manual, possibly even an S3 manual (or, dare I say it, a G**f *).

I have s-tronic and I really like it, i find it works really well. I use it pretty much all the time and very rarely switch it off like when I'm planning quick get aways and launch controls for instance. Times I wish it didn't kick in are when carrying out manoeuvres like three point turns or reverse parking etc and it sometimes kicks in for a brief second as I select reverse, very rare that happens though.

dude, it only kicks in because you aren't controlling the brake pedal correctly. It's not difficult.

So you're at the roundabout, the car in front is pulling off, you follow, but there is an eager S3 that has just come out of nowhere on the roundabout.

So you slam your anchors on, but that S3 takes the earlier exit without indicating.

So you can go, except you can't as your S/S has cut in because

"you aren't controlling the brake pedal correctly"

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

that is a pathetic excuse for an example to be very fking honest. no imagination from you. well done. nothing at all like the reversing example given above

Reactions: rajeevx5
Hate it with a passion!! I'm now "programmed" that it's the first button I press after start up!!!

Hmmm, I got tired of playing "guess the right brake pedal pressure" at every junction.

If you have Hold Assist then effectively you've got three different brake pedal pressures to consider..

1) normal braking without activating SS or HA
2) braking activating HA but not SS
3) braking activating HA and SS

On top of that, I find that on S-tronic in Auto mode if you ease off the brake pedal pressure just before you stop, and ease off slightly too much, it suddenly surges you forward again!

Generally I'm looking forward to disabling SS altogether, and I'm pleased I didn't spec HA at all.

All personal preference, your mileage may vary.

Reactions: veeeight