1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stop Start and a few software bugs / annoyances

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by MrSparks, May 14, 2014.

1. MrSparks

MrSparks New Member

[May 14, 2014]
    I'm a proud new owner of a Sportback, 1.8 Manual in Phantom black, with comfort pack, B&O sound and folding mirrors.

I'm very happy with the car except for a few automated features.

1. Stop Start, can't permanently disable
    2. MMI always pops up when the electrics come online
    3. MMI always automatically starts playing media/the radio

Now, according the stop/start supplement I got with the car, apparently stop/start will be deactivated if a trailer is being used. So my question is, how can I trick the ECU into thinking a trailer is attached?

Also, does everyone else have the same behavior with the MMI system?

Cheers :)
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 22, 2014]

3. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

[May 14, 2014]
    I can't remember now, but I'm pretty sure my stop/start still worked when I was towing a trailer. 2 & 3 are common complaints on here, doesn't seem to make much sense why they would do this, but 1 can't be done because it's part of the emissions and therefore tax bracket of the car, so needs to be permanently active. There are ways to stop it I think, but I don't really see why anyone would want to myself. Who would complain at saving a bit of fuel? It's never got in my way while driving.
  4. MrSparks

MrSparks New Member

[May 14, 2014]
    Thanks for the quick reply and good to hear i'm not the only one who doesn't like the MMI popup etc. hopefully Audi will fix it on a software update soon :)

Stop/Start wise.. I've uploaded a image of the supplement I got with the car. according to that Stop/Start should deactivate when a trailer is hooked up. Reasons why... I find the Stop/Start a little intrusive. Most of the time is works fine but for the times i'm in neutral for a very short space of time and then want to set off, I don't like the start up lag. Stop/Start is also hammering the starter motor etc, so my preference is to have it turned off always :)

Attached Files:

5. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

[May 14, 2014]
    The starter motor, circuit, battery etc, and other related items are all upgraded to cope with the stop/start system, so it isn't a problem in terms of that.

I don't remember seeing a supplement like that with my car. Next time I'm towing a trailer I'll be sure to look out for it (perhaps within the next 2 weeks... I'm 'crewing' at a gliding competition so if my pilot lands out I'll have to hook up the trailer to go and get him - all being well though he'll get back every day and I won't need to!)
  6. MrSparks

MrSparks New Member

[May 14, 2014]
    Thanks, hopefully he wont need a tow but if he does i'd be interested to know what happens to the stop/start system :)