1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stoopid Oil LEvels >:-(

wolfie138 Aug 9, 2013

1. wolfie138

wolfie138 Active Member

got home and checked my oil, as i'd topped up a bit ago and thought i'd keep an eye on it. came up straight away, no 2 minute wait message, and showed the gauge totally empty! left it a bit, still nothing, so i put a quarter litre in, got the 2 min message this time, and the bar cameup very low, topped a bit more and got it abut halfway, so i've ended up putting about 3/4l in, and the scale came up showing totally full - hoping i haven't overfilled? would it warn me if i had? can't see it would be critically overfilled but that guage thing seems to be acting a right stupid bugger. didn't get the "please top up" light as usual despite the guage showing zero so i don't know what it's playing at. anyone had similar?

2. Rudders

Rudders Member

The gauge will show empty on the level for a while before the 'Please top up' message'

3. Audi Dynamik

Audi Dynamik Well-Known Member

A message on the car will tell you if you have overfilled and if you need to top up, i always fill mine up so it is at the top on the gauge.

4. Crazyfool

Crazyfool Lead boot

I've just got off the Eurotunnel from our two and a half week trip in France. Checked everything before we left and topped up whatever necessary. Drove to the west coast of France where we did a bit of touring. By the end of the two weeks, the oil had dropped down to just over 3/4, so I topped it up with about half a litre.

We then drove to Disneyland where we left the car at the hotel car park for the 3 days. Yesterday just as we were about to leave the computer told me it needed oil immediately! I checked under the car for any leaks, then filled the car with the remaining 1/2 litre I had left. The computer then said it couldn't give me a reading. Half way between Paris and our next destination, 50 miles south of Calais, the computer gave me a full reading...This morning the same thing happened again, but this time I just opened and shut the bonnet because I know it resets the computer. Couldn't give me a reading again.

Just got off the train and the computer is now saying I need to drain the oil!!! WTF! Luckily it's going in the garage on Driday for an MOT.