Facelift Stolen S3... Nearly... Again...

Yeah mate pros don't rake in cutlery drawers
Our kitchen units ALL match, so you don't know what's in what drawer or cupboard, the fridge and freezer ect. They got knifes out as weapons

Reactions: Jassyo06
It does sound like it.

Committed "professionals" would not have left without the keys and would have done anything to get them.

In that case expect the unexpected and be prepared for it.
The police said often the professionals don't go upstairs for the keys as they don't want any confrontation as much as you don't want any confrontation. They don't know if you're hidden behind a door with a golf club or fast asleep in bed. And once they're upstairs theirs not a lot they can do without confrontation.

They confirmed it with the tool they had

I think even professionals would have to call it quits at some point, the risk of getting caught increases for every minute they are there.... going upstairs is a whole different ballgame compared to quietly going through drawers downstairs..

I wonder if the other S/RS forums frequently have these stolen threads, likewise BMW M forums etc!

I think even professionals would have to call it quits at some point, the risk of getting caught increases for every minute they are there.... going upstairs is a whole different ballgame compared to quietly going through drawers downstairs..

I wonder if the other S/RS forums frequently have these stolen threads, likewise BMW M forums etc!

I think all cars do. I hear about golf r’s and gti’s being stolen almost weekly at work

And all different cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unfortunately they do I'm afraid...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

unfortunately they do I'm afraid...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Sad times....

We need like bait keys. Leave them out in the open so if somebody breaks in they can see them, but when they go to unlock the car it sets off the horn continuously and starts flashing the lights. The key wouldn't unlock the doors either, just causes havoc. Oh, and rings the police while also playing a sound from the car saying the police are on the way...

Good idea I think ;)

Reactions: -Ju-, davemk, Tom.H and 1 other person
Sad times....

We need like bait keys. Leave them out in the open so if somebody breaks in they can see them, but when they go to unlock the car it sets off the horn continuously and starts flashing the lights. The key wouldn't unlock the doors either, just causes havoc. Oh, and rings the police while also playing a sound from the car saying the police are on the way...

Good idea I think ;)

Jhee whizz you’re genuinely onto something... honestly

Reactions: AudiNutta
Sad times....

Good idea I think ;)
If you have a non-keyless vehicle then you could order up a replacement key but not have it coded to the car. That way if its taken and used, although the "scum" would be able to get in to the car and start the engine it would cut out within a few seconds once the IMMO kicks in. After trying to start it a few times without success they might give up and do one.

Reactions: richinsoton, Tom.H, oli356 and 1 other person
If you have a non-keyless vehicle then you could order up a replacement key but not have it coded to the car. That way if its taken and used, although the "scum" would be able to get in to the car and start the engine it would cut out within a few seconds once the IMMO kicks in. After trying to start it a few times without success they might give up and do one.

Sounds an excellent idea Alex. But what is a IMMO for goodness sake? So could I just order a spare key and get it cut but not coded. Sounds a relatively cheap anti-theft device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds an excellent idea Alex. But what is a IMMO for goodness sake? So could I just order a spare key and get it cut but not coded. Sounds a relatively cheap anti-theft device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Immobiliser :)

Basically yer, a “cut” key will allow locks and ignition to be opened / turned but once the key fails to send the needed signal to the immobiliser the engine will shut off.

Reactions: glospete
Immobiliser
Doh!

Methinks this is worth a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Immobiliser
Doh!

Methinks this is worth a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

When you order the key it’s a couple hundred quid, it comes cut but not coded to the car. They order them chassis specific and require the v5 logbook, proof of id and upfront payment at a dealership.

You could use that, the car will only unlock manually, and will not start

Reactions: glospete
I wasn't asking which road he lived on...... just after a more specific area like Bitzieee provided (naming a few cities) wanting to know as if it was in my local area I'd want to know so people can be more wary of who was kicking about around your estate.

Reality is that there is not a major city or town that does not have its own bunch of professional high end car thieves whether they are home grown or come into your town/city looking

Reactions: batch and Bitzieee
Glad to hear your OK, but sad to read about this now common issue of S3’s being stolen.

Home security systems are the number one priority for trying to stop them getting in.....your be surprised about how much difference there can be between different types of locks installed on doors, as well as the key cylinders and even the lever handle sets. Make sure your door is a system that is “secure by design” approved, and then even look at additional lock security that can only be activated from within your house. Burglar alarms are also a good deterrent, but you can never take home security seriously enough.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal!!

Is it a 3Dr or a 5Dr you own just out of interest? Seems like the thieves are more interested in the 5 doors as they can sub-steal easier.

Sad times....

Good idea I think ;)

Commonly known as a monitored burglar alarm ....just like the one I have :)

When you order the key it’s a couple hundred quid, it comes cut but not coded to the car. They order them chassis specific and require the v5 logbook, proof of id and upfront payment at a dealership.

You could use that, the car will only unlock manually, and will not start

Ouch I didn't realise that it would be that much!

Ouch I didn't realise that it would be that much!

Yes, if your keys are stolen but not the car a new key set and barrel set is about £600. Most people claim it back on insurance it’s that much

every single draw out, got a few kitchen knifes out of the holder as weapons.

Not much of a comfort I know, but this very act bumped a local scumbag up from a probable community service order to a 4 year custodial in big boy jail after he was caught breaking into my neighbours house.

Not much of a comfort I know, but this very act bumped a local scumbag up from a probable community service order to a 4 year custodial in big boy jail after he was caught breaking into my neighbours house.

We’ve been told we can go to court for the trial if they get them! Cant wait

Oh yes, you would be surprised at how much it increases for offensive weapons. Although, the Police may struggle to charge them with a knife 'obtained' in the property because it's technically not a 'public place' and is a dwelling and the law changes for that, oddly. But certainly any use or threat of violence changes the charge and as soon as they set foot outside the house with said offensive weapon... it shoots up massively. The law is a funny thing sometimes, but mostly, they have everything covered... if they can't get them on something, you can be sure there is something else they will be able to charge for, providing the evidence is strong enough for CPS to prosecute them. Anything with weapons is treated very seriously these days and they will go for the highest possible sentence aswell.

Reactions: richinsoton
Upgrading locks etc. is good but won't stop them if committed. We had a break-in on Halloween, they tried everything to get rear doors and patio doors open, couldn't do it so just smashed the glass on the door and walked in. Alarm went off and it seems like they were in the house for literally seconds, enough time to open some drawers to look for keys and then run. My fault for leaving the Golf outside with no extra protection when we were away...

Upgrading locks etc. is good but won't stop them if committed. We had a break-in on Halloween, they tried everything to get rear doors and patio doors open, couldn't do it so just smashed the glass on the door and walked in. Alarm went off and it seems like they were in the house for literally seconds, enough time to open some drawers to look for keys and then run. My fault for leaving the Golf outside with no extra protection when we were away...

But they probably would have known you were away and also they were in there seconds because of the alarm. Had you not had an alarm they would have took their time searching.

Tat is why I always say the alarm should be where the money is spent, not on CCTV which is a waste of time.

I wasn't asking which road he lived on...... just after a more specific area like Bitzieee provided (naming a few cities) wanting to know as if it was in my local area I'd want to know so people can be more wary of who was kicking about around your estate.

Suppose it doesnt matter who lives where, we all need to be prepared for an attempt to steal our cars if we own nice ones :(

Reactions: Bitzieee
Not just S3's!!!

I came home this afternoon to find the Police on my doorstep!!!
pc-jpg.144068

Between 10.30 and 12 this morning a house down the road had their back door smashed in and the keys and their Type R taken! She told me that there was another car stolen in the area on Thursday night, she said "They are after nice cars (pointing at mine) so if you have any extra locks use them".

So my Pro-lock staying on from now on and I've also ordered one of these to lock the gates together at night: Big *** chain

Reactions: MattSedg and AudiNutta
Really sorry I missed this, glad you are okay but a genuinely horrific experience.

Reactions: Bitzieee and MattSedg
Really sorry I missed this, glad you are okay but a genuinely horrific experience.

Thanks dude, we’re sorta over it now. Cars back from the bodyshop now too and all the security is up and running. Good luck now thieves :)

Thanks dude, we’re sorta over it now. Cars back from the bodyshop now too and all the security is up and running. Good luck now thieves :)

Nice one, glad you have decided to keep it. Mine is secured up to the heavens now as best as I can possibly do, my main concern now is tw*ts damaging it like they did yours.

Reactions: Bitzieee
Nice one, glad you have decided to keep it. Mine is secured up to the heavens now as best as I can possibly do, my main concern now is tw*ts damaging it like they did yours.

Really cheap respray from my good friends over the road at the vw approved body shop. Absolutely spot on by the looks of things. Will clean it sat/sunday properly, polish and wax the panel and see

Reactions: AudiNutta
Good to hear you keeping it mate! Don’t let the scums put you off having an S3.

Good to hear you keeping it mate! Don’t let the scums put you off having an S3.
My attitude was very much like that...

Until we got broken into ha.

It's almost impossible to get into the house now, but even if you do. You can't do it without smashing a window and even then, the alarm will go off instantly. The keys are kept out of sight. It takes us at least 5 minutes to unlock and set off in the morning and we know where the keys are for everything and what to do. I imagine they'll be 10-15 minutes if they're lucky, with the alarm sounding, and us waiting behind any door in the house awake and ready to smash their heads in!

Goodluck!

Reactions: MaffewEM and Timi8888