Still getting used to S-Tronic

Just been out in my 2.otfsi and like the 3.0tfsi it changes into D7 at about 48mph. I would have thought that the diesel would not need to change as much at the speed you stated on the motorway hill in belfast as it will have more torque than the petrol.

What I was thinking is that I've read the emissions update could potentially be causing losses of power at low revs (<2000rpm) but of course, information is few and far between and far from conclusive. BUT It would match perfectly with my current experiences - if s-tronic hasn't been updated to take account of the (supposed) difference in low-end power, it would think D7 was ok with this load at this speed. When the engine fails to give the required power and more throttle is required, s-tronic thinks I'm trying to accelerate away and drops a gear.

It makes sense. Reducing emissions would normally have an impact on performance and there have been reports from some owners that their cars feel down on power after the update.

Thanks for the help guys, it's appreciated. Seems to be not too many forums with active participation for this specific car / engine combination. Information to compare with is very thin on the ground, either that, or I've just not found the Derv-Web yet ;)

I see there's a new recall for my car so I'll give Audi a shout next week, get it booked in and have them take a look at it. I've just run a scan with Carista and it's showing zero faults, so probably not a sensor issue.

When the storms pass, I'll take a look at the air filter and get it booked in somewhere for the fuel filter too. I've just ordered a cheap Android tablet too so I can get torque & VAG DPF installed for a bit more diagnostic info.

Got hold of my Android tablet today. Excellent piece of kit, got both VAG DPF and Torque running on it and 2 interesting things...

Firstly, regens are happening and my dpf is only at 20% capacity 200 miles after the last one, so that looks good.

However, the car temperature is not right. Went for a 6 mile drive and took it from 40 degrees upwards (5 degrees ambient temperature). It got up to 74 degrees with a few spirited sprints over the first 3 miles. I then let off and cruised in the 30-40mph range. Three miles later, the temperature had crept up to 76. This doesn’t seem right, surely it should continue to climb until 90 even if I drive easily. I would guess the thermostat is opening early and preventing the car from getting to 90. Interestingly the temp gauge was sitting only marginally below 90, so perhaps this answers the awful economy if it’s not getting up to full temperature.

Wondering if this is the root cause of all my issues...

Reactions: Klickflip
Got the car back today after having the aux. heater recall done. They investigated the issues around the temperature / gear changing / economy and found the s-tronic box needed a software update so this was done. They seemed to be aware of an issue surrounding 6th/7th gear and frequent changes. I've only driven it a couple of miles back from Audi to my work but already noticing it's changing up the gears earlier and it was happily trundling along in 6th at 35mph, which it never did before - that was firmly 4th / 5th territory.

They stated the temperature fluctuation was normal, although it still surprises me somewhat that a car can get up to temperature and then lose it again and this is regarded as "normal". I can understand a long slow warm-up in this cold weather, but to be so efficient that it can't even keep itself warm when it gets there is not something I've ever experienced before.

I'm hoping the mpg goes up a few miles now, will report back when I know better...

Reactions: scotty76 and jdp1962
I'm reading this with interest.

For someone who only goes to a dealer for parts, how would I find out if my car needs a software update/recall? I'm sure my tiptronic box could be better than it is, especially having recently having a ride in a friend's similarly aged Merc.

I guess the obvious answer is to give them a call.

Other than that, I found out about my recall through the My Audi website (I never can remember the correct logon URL for that, I always seem to end up at the U.S. site! After half-a-dozen attempts I usually find it or give up :grinning:). I have the vehicle registered to my account and when I signed in, it threw a message on the screen advising me of the recall.

The S-tronic update I've received isn't a recall though, that was just for the heater fault. It was more a case of 'while I'm here....' and I described to the Mastertech what my symptoms were - reluctance to go into 7th, seemed to be changing gear too often etc... He said it could have adapted to the previous owner and that they can reset the adaptations in the workshop, I asked him to check if it required any kind of software update.

It's going to be a few days before I get a decent run to see what difference it's really made, but certainly is tending towards higher gears now, so I'm keeping the fingers crossed...