1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still getting flutter noise AFTER replacing DV

comdw Jul 19, 2010

1. comdw

comdw Member VCDS Map User

I noticed the tell-tale flutter noise a couple of weeks ago and promptly replaced the DV (I used the supposedly superior 710P).

However this time (unlike last time I did it 5 years ago), it hasn't cured the noise. What are the other likely causes? I assume it would be very unlikely to be a faulty brand new part, and more likely some other problem on my car?

Thanks...

2. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

are you mapped? what car? have you tested the DV?

3. Matt82

Matt82 Active Member

check youre actually getting a good vacuum signal to it

4. s3 Hoggy

s3 Hoggy Whats going on???

I had a split in the small vacuum pipe that goes straight into the top of the dv, caused the same issue as there was no vacuum being pulled. Best to check your pipes

5. sportstractor

sportstractor Chugger

split vac hose or faulty n249 has been known to cause this I think

6. comdw

Ok I will check the vac hose. What's an N249? And how do you test the DV separately?

7. sportstractor

sportstractor Chugger

depending on what engine your s3 has, the n249 sits on top og the engine above the coil packs, had alot of pipework running in and out, but it mainly runs from the inlet, through the n249 then into the dv. If you have a prefacelift you probably have another valve also, not sure what its purpose is. Alot of people bypass the n249 and run a new vac hose straight from inlet into the dv.

8. Matt82

Matt82 Active Member

oh yeah... its good to see you actually diagnosed the problem before yo started throwing new parts at the car lol

9. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

I get a fluttering on my car which has been there since day one. It only occurs when the car has just been started and is stone cold (first start of the day) and it only happens while boosting up, not when letting off.

I've done the 249 bypass, replaced the inliet mani hose to the DV and replaced the TIP but I still get the noise. Once the car has been on for about 2 mins the noise goes away! Very weird and I've never figured out what it is, its almost as if the ecu knows the car is cold and is letting boost escape.

Anyway is this similar to your problem or does the fluttering happen all the time?

10. comdw

Yes definitely not a problem just when cold.

Anyway I did a bit more investigation and found that there is a three way connector near what I assume is the N249 from one of the inlet hoses that has broken:

[​IMG]

Although it seems to me that the other inlet hose is the one that feeds the DV, I figure I should probably get this fixed first. Any one know how I will find out the part number for this, if its even possible to replace just this?

Aside on the DV - so the top hose is meant to give a vacuum always? I had assume the N249 was controlling the vacuum to be applied at the required times only. What do all the other pipes feed?

11. zseth

zseth Member

hi, can you tell me exactly where this T piece is located? i want to check mine too.,

12. comdw