"Sticky" fuel cap?

Terminator x

Reaction score
Any of you had this problem, it's as if the fuel cap is still locked even though the rest of the car is open eg you press the fuel cap and it won't open. It's a bit random so sometimes works. Concerned that I'll be left in the lurch sometime soon as the old v8 beast needs fuelling every few days ;)

Any ideas? It's a 57 plate S5.

TX.

Silly suggestion but I'm just totally guessing here and you've probably checked it already, But possible dirt/substance in the locking mechanism of the fuel cap maybe?

The solenoid in the locking fuel cap is a common failure on A4 A5 cars mine was permanently open. Cost less than £40 for the parts you should find a red emergency pull cord behind the fuel cap in the boot.check the manual it will show you where it is
Karl

Reactions: PAULF
I have the same problem on a four cabriolet, it was down to someone put in chain lube for a motorcycle on it to lubricate the thing, this caused a buildup of grit and dust and lead to it not working
A good clean, and some proper lube sorted it all out fine

I've had a sticky fuel cap in previous cars, gave them a good blast of wd 40 with some tissue around the area