1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereo problem

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by bonerp, Nov 3, 2007.

1. bonerp

bonerp Member

[Nov 3, 2007]
    Have the concert stereo. Sometimes the sound comes and goes from (I think) the tweeters. Checked the conections on back of stereo and they seem ok. Anyone else had this? Not sure if it could be the stereo or the wiring.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Jan 26, 2015]

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 3, 2007]
    Most likely the connection between the door pillar and the door, which is a bastard to get to as it sits on the outer skin and the only access is through a small, sharp hole on the inner skin. Does the problem go away when you turn the volume up?
    You need to check if just the tweeter goes off or whether it's both tweeter & mid. They both run off the same feed from the HU, so if it's just the tweeter then it has to be the connection inside the door, where the signal runs from the mid woofer up to the tweeter. Yoiu have to take the doorcards off to get to this connection. This is simple enough but you need to get some replacement pop fasteners as they are designed to break when removing the door card. They're about 18p each from a dealer:
    [​IMG]

If it's both mid & tweeter then it's probably the door pillar connection.
    Is it just one side? If it's both sides does the probem occur simultaneously? i.e. both sides at the same time? Do you have Bose, or just the stock system?
    If it's both sides at the same time then it would point to a fault on the HU, or amp if you have Bose.
  4. bonerp

bonerp Member

[Nov 4, 2007]
    i think it affects the left front tweeter and mid and the back right. Does work when turn it up, ut it then carries on cutting out - if that makes sense!

Its a standard concert system
    P
  5. Administrators

Administrators Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[Nov 4, 2007]
    Hi sounds just like a blown tweeter. The tweeter is just like any other speaker and has a coil in side if the wire should get a crack in it the tweeter stops working and then some times through vibration the wire rejoins the tweeter will work again for a while. :)
  6. bonerp

bonerp Member

[Nov 10, 2007]
    how do i get to this door pillar connection and what could the fault with it be? Its driving me insane now!!! But the problem doesnt go when I turn the sound up. The sound just keeps coming and going. I started to think it may be the stereo but seems to be more so when I hit a ramp or pothole.
    thanks
    P
  7. scottyjohn

scottyjohn Member

[Nov 11, 2007]
    Hi,
    I have the same annoying cut in and out and crackle with mine. I had read somewhere on here that there was an audi recall to rectify connections which werent up to the job? Havent had the chance to call Audi Customer services yet though, but may be worth a call to your local dealer?
  8. bonerp

bonerp Member

[Nov 11, 2007]
    think it'll be out of warranty now! Its a 52.
  9. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 11, 2007]
    Won't matter on a recall - it's independent of warranty.
    Worth checking the brown front speaker connector on the rear of the HU as well as these tend to get loose with age, try moving the connector around to see if it makes the speakers cut in/out. There are only 3 connectors it can be, HU, door pillar or speaker itself.