Stereo "pop/thump" when turned on

Lyons

A6 Allroad / 435D
Reaction score
I refitted the standard Concert yesterday but when I connected it up I still had the key in the ignition after turning it off. At the time there was a pop (which sounded like the remote pop you'd get with aftermarket amps and subs fitted).

Now each time I turn the car/radio on, the pop can be heard.

I have Bose in my car.

Anyone any ideas? I left the radio out last night in the hope that it would have cleared over night, but its still doing it.

Have I damaged something?

Last edited:
I had a Pioneer unit in previously. No changes were made though, I just unplugged the quadlock adapter I had for the Pioneer and returned it to standard.

pioneer radios have issues with blown ground tracks on headunits which can cause damage to amplifiers im afraid

the only other thing you can try is cleaning up the earthing points as grounding issues usually come from here

So even though all was ok when the Pioneer was installed, it could have damaged the amp and left it so it was only noticeable when the original unit was reinstalled?

Clean the earthing points on the amp? How do I go about doing that?!

You reckon the problem definitely lies with the amp then?

no i mean clean the earthing points on the car where the wiring contacts the body
any differential between the differing earthing points on the car is likely to cause trouble so ideally find the earthing point closest to the headunit and the amplifier ...remove , clean and refit

yes the pioneer unit is capable of damaging the amplifier without you being able to tell
for some reason pioneer use a differant earthing method most manufacturers use a floating ground to avoid noise issues but pioneer
use there own method

Ok, cheers.I have an RNS due this week that I'll install in the car first to try and determine if its the Concert or amp at fault.