Stereo doesn't turn off when the key is removed.

Geoffads

Reaction score
According to the manual the headunit should turn itself off when the key is removed from the ignition. Mine stays on and I'm going to forget sooner or later. Anyone heard of this problem before, seen a few instances of the issue browsing the web but no resolution. Any help much appreciated!

I have the same problem with mine in my 8L S3 what I also noticed is when I turn my head lights on my radio doesn't light up.

As you say should be instant the moment the key is removed from the ignition, that points to ignition barrel worn to me.
Mine is instant F.Y.I

Do the interior night illumination led's light up ok on the speedo, headlight switch, dash buttons, could be barrel & if not then its a canbus issue.

All the lights on my car light up apart from the radio and my other issue is my mfsw buttons don't work the radio either.

You have an 8L mfsw or 8P?

Sounds like radio issues are related to bus wiring.

Mine is an 8L and it was in the car when I bought it so hope it would be the right one. Main thing is the car still turns with it. Lol

Mines a 57 plate. Everything else seems to light up, can't find anything that doesn't. Did have a fuse out on the cig lighter but changed it and the stereo still stays on.

Last edited:
There is an aftermarket Phone holder on the dash, so not sure if something has been modified to accommodate that.

We had a poster on here recently with a similar issue - the mini-ISO plug wasn't plugged in the back - you could have a look at that (although on a 57 I think it may be part of the quadlock)

I'll see if I can get the unit out to have a look, may have keys somewhere.

Have just got home and it's the first journey I've done in the dark. When I turn the engine off, the headlights turn off and the sidelights stay on and the dash stays lit, when I remove the key it all goes off and the interior lights come on. So looks positive in that regard, it's recognizing the key being removed.

I just did a bit of web research (saddo) and it looks like if it's a quadlock unit the canbus signal is on one of the ISO connectors.

Thanks John, that's much appreciated. Will have a look at it when i find the stereo keys.

Managed to get the stereo out, the unit for the hands free has been spliced into the cables. Had hoped it was just going to be plugged in. Unless its got a 2nd aftermarket cable plugged in and the cables from the car go into that. I've taken a photo so when I get to my PC ill upload them, finger crossed someone can confirm I can just take out the aftermarket cables and plug the normal ones in again. I've never seen this set up so I'm in the dark.

There's a single blue cable going into it, I'm wondering if its the permanent live.

They're not the best photos and I doubt you can tell anything from them, but I'm just hoping someone familiar with this will be able to give me some pointers. If that blue wire is aftermarket, where is it likely to be going? Is it easy to find the other end if it's permanent live?

IMG 0586IMG 0584IMG 0588

Do you use the phone kit, if not then remove it all.

My gut feeling says the cables with a bit of black gaffer tape are after market. I've got a feeling the cable directly into the stereo with the bury kit spliced into it is an aftermarket ISO cable. And the standard ISO cable is plugged into that. Never seen these cables before so wary of taking them out.

On holiday tomorrow, long drive to Cornwall and there's no way I can talk to my girlfriend for three hours without music. :)

I went for it, unplugged the cables, put the cable from the car back in and bish bash bosh it still works. Cut the cable that goes to the mic but still left with the blue one. Is it ok to cut that?

Yeap pins not mapped properly & thus lost canbus connections.

If you ever want to upgrade to the oem BT systems & the rns unit, give me a shout & I can assure you it will all turn on/off with the key :)

Cheers for all the help!

As it happens I'm thinking about parking sensors, paint correction and Bose speakers, Where are you based?

Work all over, usually come out to locations.