1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering Wheel

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by kash0, Feb 14, 2005.

1. kash0

kash0 Member

Hi, would it be at all possible to retrofit the sports multifunction steering wheel from the sportback into the hatch, has anyone had this done? Thanks
  2. miketweed

miketweed Member

Do you mean just fit the wheel? Or hook up all the controls as well?

If you're just swapping the wheel then it may fit - but the sportback has new audi 'slack jaw' steering wheel centre to go with the same front grill. The 3 door wheels are 'normal' style to match the car.

Aren't the multi function wheels those grim 4-spoke things anyway? I'm sure they are in the UK.

If the car was built for a normal wheel then it won't have the wiring for a multifunction wheel.
  3. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

That's one thing I don't like about the interior of my A3 sportback.
    The steering wheel is hideous.
    Hardly a big deal though.
  4. Cupramax

Cupramax Uber pimp meister

I must admit when I first saw a picture of one I thought it was horific but to be honest it looked OK on the one I test drove. Not as nice as the 3 door one but OK all the same.
  5. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

Showing my age here,but the first thing I thought when I saw the A3 sportback wheel was 'Austin Allegro'....
  6. synthdood

synthdood Member

My sentiments exactly. When I ordered my Sportback I asked if it would be possible to get the 3-door steering wheel. The salesguy went and had a chat with their techies and although they weren't 100% sure if it would actually fit or not, they wouldn't do it beacuse they were afraid that the control signal for the airbag might not work properly.

I am stuck with the standard Sportback wheel now and although it isn't as bad in the flesh as it is in pictures I still don't like the looks of it. It does feel great though! The combination of perforated and non-perforated leather is just perfect!
  7. kash0

kash0 Member

I meant the controls, currently I can only have that horrible 4 spoke wheel if I want a multifunction wheel in my 3 door.

In terms of wiring I thought that the wiring exists but its not in use as I have no multifunction wheel, so if I were to put the 3 spoke multifunction wheel in from the sportback, it would just be as easy as hooking it up to the existing wiring that is available for the 4 spoke multifunction wheel. ( Mind you I don't care for the new look wheel either but the multifunction wheel would be very accommodating in the 3 spoke guise).

Thanks.
  8. miketweed

miketweed Member

kash0,

So you mean order the 3 door with multifunction so you get the right wiring, then swap for the 5dr wheel afterwards?
  9. kash0

kash0 Member

Yep, exactly, do you know if this at all possible?
  10. miketweed

miketweed Member

If the dealer doesn't know then I don't think it's advisable to try, now we all have unexploded bombs strapped inches from our faces!! (sorry, i mean airbags)

The airbag is probably a different type to fit in the different wheel shape, they cost a lot more than the wheel too I think?

Try speaking to a few dealers, you might find a mechanic who knows a bit more.