1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering Wheel Wobble at High Speed (Wheels Balanced)

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by jomnhta, Jan 16, 2009.

1. jomnhta

jomnhta Member

[Jan 16, 2009]
    Hi guys, I have been seeking solution to this problems for awhile. I have a S3 and my steering wheel starts to wobble at speed higher than 80mph. I have replaced the top mount, ARB bush, ARB droplinks and control arm bush but there is no improvement.

The only thing left out is the tie-rod ends and the lower ball joints. I have tried jack-up the car and check for play by shaking the wheels but there is definately no play. What do you guys think? Should I change the tie rod ends and balljoints or should there be something else? I don't wanna waste money to change something ain't broke.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. 666markyboy

666markyboy Well-Known Member

[Jan 16, 2009]
    I had this on my old coupe... everything balanced and all new front suspension.... turned out my wheels had small flat spots on them... probably from hitting speed bumps too quickly as there's lots near me... imagine your wheels like a 50p ... it can be perfectly balanced but will still shake at speed...
  4. h100vw

h100vw Member

[Jan 16, 2009]
    I agree, swap the wheels front to back and see what happens.

Gavin
  5. buckas

buckas Member

[Jan 16, 2009]
    yep, flatspots - had them on mine

note for future : if you feel wobble through the steering wheel it's the fronts, if the wobbles through the car and not the wheel it's the rears
  6. jomnhta

jomnhta Member

[Jan 20, 2009]
    so... the last resort is to change tires?
  7. s3ollie

s3ollie Member

[Jan 20, 2009]
    do you run spacers?
  8. HTC

HTC Active Member

[Jan 20, 2009]
    Bent wheel?
  9. paul_brad

paul_brad Member

[Jan 21, 2009]
    if you have slightly bent wheels, people recommend putting them on the back, which sorts the steering, but then you can feel a constant judder in your bum.

If by changing the wheels, it feels like the judder has changed, then I would assume it is this. Could be tyres. Last resort - change wheel(s)!
  10. dhyndi

dhyndi S3 D HY

[Jan 23, 2009]
    yeh, its a buckled wheel, take the wheel off and look on round the inside of it, it'll have a few "flat spots" therefore its not round and will not be a smooth ride.....if you can remember going through a big pot hole, take a pic of it and fill out a claim form - send it to your local road service and request compensation.....either that or take it to an alloy wheel repair centre - they should be able to fix a buckle for under £50