1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering wheel wearing out!

linners May 22, 2010

1. linners

linners Member

My steering wheel isn't wearing too well - looking a bit tatty to the point where it's worn through the grey leather!!!

Is it new steering wheel time or can it be fixed with a miracle treatment???

2. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

Mines very similar. I degreased it with Megs degreaser, and then treated it with Gliptones leather shampoo, followed by a treatment of conditioner. It's much much better, because it's cleaner the leather looks a lot less worn.

3. linners

linners Member

Mine's defo worn through the leather though :(
    Worried about trying any DIY treatments that might make it worse....

4. Digger1

Digger1 Member

clean it with some white spirits/turps, Get an aerosol to match the leather colour mask up the wheel/center and instruments behind it and with very light coats spray paint it, did mine in matt/black as it was looking shiney and worn ! looks like new now !!!

5. mattyboyc

mattyboyc B6 Veteran Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group TDi

6. Digger1

Digger1 Member

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  7. mattyboyc

These are not re-painted they are re-covered, new leather, i've had one from them which i sold on, i currently have about 4 3-spoke steering wheels for which i am looking for someone a bit more local to re-cover.

8. Digger1

Digger1 Member

Leather Recovered ,then yes that does justify £99 , but I feel happier with the £7 I've spent on a matt black aerosol, it's a good match to audi's (sole black) and it really does look like new for a fraction of the price , but will have to see how long it lasts !!!

9. mattyboyc

Ive a local trimmer coming tomorrow to re-stuff my drivers seat, i'm gonna talk to him about re-covering the steering wheels

10. rwellfair

rwellfair Member

i have a stadered wheel in my audi a4 avent 1.8 T i was wndering if you can change it to one with radio controlls on with out to much fuss?