1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering wheel buttons wrong

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by gixerson, Nov 11, 2012.

1. gixerson

gixerson Member

[Nov 11, 2012]
    Here's my wheel

[​IMG]

Problem is the dials do not do anything, you have the press the right dial in to decrease the volume and press the left one in to increas the volume.
    The mode and hands free buttons skip tracks.

Is it possible to reprogram the buttons to the correct use?

If not has anyone found panels with the correct markings for the steering wheel buttons?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. Dannykn9

Dannykn9 "Cruise My Ride" VCDS Map User

[Nov 11, 2012]
    What is your steering module part number mate?
    By the look of your indicator and wiper stalks, it seems you have an older module which I am guessing you had the old style single stage airbag MFSW.
    If so, them i am guessing that is what your problem is fella.
  4. gixerson

gixerson Member

[Nov 11, 2012]
    Hi Danny,

Thanks for the response.
    I'll nip down and take a gander, where do i find the module please?

The car is a late 2004 btw.
  5. a6_chris

a6_chris Well-Known Member

[Nov 11, 2012]
    If you have or know someone with vcds it's quicker than taking the steering wheel off, slip ring and surrounding trim off.
  6. Dannykn9

Dannykn9 "Cruise My Ride" VCDS Map User

[Nov 11, 2012]
    Chris is right, best to get VCDS to get the number, although it is possible to get the lower cowling off without removing the wheel and then you can have a look at the part number as it will be on the label pointing down towards the floor.
  7. Gizmo68

Gizmo68 VCDS owner in Kent VCDS Map User

[Nov 11, 2012]
    It certainly looks like a retro-fitted MFSW.

You will need VCDS to code the controller correctly.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  8. gixerson

gixerson Member

[Nov 12, 2012]
    Fantastic, thank you all.

My bro-in-law is a mechanic with his own garage, i know he has several OBD2 programs 1 he tells me works with VAG so i'll pop in during the week and take a gander.

Are these buttons programmable vis VCDS then?
  9. Gizmo68

Gizmo68 VCDS owner in Kent VCDS Map User

[Nov 12, 2012]
    They are not programmable in the fact you cannot change a buttons use for whatever you want it to do, but you can enable or disable them from the factories intended use yes.
  10. N8

N8 Kowalski Details VCDS Map User

[Nov 12, 2012]
    Interesting pic that, B6/B7 Auto gear surround in an 8P...
  11. jb0o

jb0o North East Forum Moderator Regional Rep Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Nov 12, 2012]
    My guess if you have the Golf '1K0' Highline module.
  12. gixerson

gixerson Member

[Nov 23, 2012]
    Finally managed to get some time to spend on the car earlier this week.
    Carried out a oil and filter change on the DSG, Haldex and motor pretty straight forward really only thing that took time was waiting for the gearbox to cool down enough to get the oil temp right.

Also had a play with a couple of the software readers in the shop.
    1 was VAScom software that run on a laptop, the other Texa axone direct reader.

The Texa was a LOT easier to use but my Greek is a bit rusty so sort of cancelled this out.

Still i managed to get this data, does this make sense to anyone?

[​IMG]

Am i right in saying i have the 8P0953549 module?

Cheers
    Mark
  13. gixerson

gixerson Member

[Dec 16, 2012]
    This is driving me crazy, would really appreciate some help guys please.
  14. mike foster

mike foster Fossie VCDS Map User

[Dec 16, 2012]
    Yes, you have that module but the crucial bit of information, ie suffix letter is missing. You MUST have suffix F for mfsw.

You really need vcds to check the full details and check that the coding is correct.
  15. Boon

Boon Active Member VCDS Map User

[Dec 16, 2012]
    Mine does the exact same thing, all retro fitted by me

Have the same controller (changed from 1K0 jobbie) 8P0 without any suffix, I'm guessing its the same problem, was assured by the seller that it was the right part - did ask if it was the 'F' module and got a yes reply, so not sure what to do now :motz:
  16. gixerson

gixerson Member

[Dec 16, 2012]
    Thanks Mike.

I'll pop in next week and try again with a few other OBD readers, if not i'll order that vagcom.

Just to clarify if it is a certain suffix can i do anything in vagcom to have the buttons match the labels?

That sucks, so there was no suffix even when viewed with vagcom?
  17. Boon

[Dec 16, 2012]
    Nope no suffix on either the part code sticker (couldn't see the photo clearly enough before I bought it) or on VCDS just 8P0 953 549

VCDS will not change what the buttons do, you can only program (coding) the module to tell it it has MFSW. VCDS will display the switching of the buttons to confirm they work, but as said the scroll wheels do nothing and all the buttons are mixed up
  18. gixerson

gixerson Member

[Dec 16, 2012]
    How is it i can tune and map a standalone ECU in a weekend, yet this vagcom stuff is a struggle to get my head around :wacko:

So best case scenario that i have the correct module for the MFSW.
    If i program it via vagcom to tell it that MFSW is connected, will the scroll wheels and correct buttons (as they are labelled) work?
  19. Boon

[Dec 16, 2012]
    No sorry think we are both getting confused here

With VCDS (vagcom) you can tell the controller if you have a multi function steering wheel or not...

I have told the controller I have MFSW, and it works as described, and works as yours does now

If you tell the controller you do not have MFSW nothing will work at all... It's simply on or off, no adjustments can be made

believe it must be due to the fact of the missing 'F' at the end of the module part code
  20. Boon

[Dec 16, 2012]
    Would anybody know if a later revision module than F will work? Can find 8P0 953 549 H
  21. gixerson

gixerson Member

[Dec 16, 2012]
    Yea sorry i'm trying my best to make sense of it all.

So the fact that my steering wheel controls work means it's already been told the module is installed then?

If that's the case and i can't change that setting could someone please explain to me what i would gain by buying vagcom?
    Can i not spend the money instead on a different controller that will work the buttons correctly?

P.S.
    I do realise that the new module will need to be programmed but i'm told that i can do this with the OBD reader shown.
  22. mike foster

[Dec 16, 2012]
    No mate it won't I'm afraid. The later module Rev K works but it has a different slip ring arrangement I believe for use on later cars. For your 2004 car I believe the ONLY version that works is 'F'. Rev 'H' is for the sportback only with a rev 'A' slip ring.

As said before, VCDS does not program the buttons, it just tells the module that you have mfsw.
  23. gixerson

gixerson Member

[Dec 17, 2012]
    Thanks again Mike, if i could test your patience for a few more questions/confirmations i'd be extremely grateful.

a/ Am i right in saying that the system (is this RSN in this case) needs to be told what MFSW module is in place?

b/ If that's the case does the fact that my buttons are working (be it not as labelled) mean that someone has already programmed the system to tell it i have this MFSW module?

c/ I gather from what i've been told so far that if the system wasn't programmed (via vagcom) to know this module was installed the buttons wouldn't work at all?

d/ Again if that is the case and i can't change the button settings or select another module in vagcom (to enable the buttons to work correctly) and i already know the module is like Boons a 8P0953549 without the suffix, what would i gain from buying vagcom?
    It seems to me all i could do is confirm it's this said module right?

e/ Is it possible for me to fit a different MFSW module to get all the buttons working as the labels intend?
    (i understand i buy another module i will need to tell the system it's there by using vagcom or some alternative)

f/ What exactly am i programming with vagcom in this instance, is RSN, the ECU or a general controller?

Sorry for all the questions, i recon once answered i should have it sorted though :icon_thumright:
  24. mike foster

[Dec 17, 2012]
    Just looked at your pic again. Is that a Tiptronic steering wheel and was your original one Tiptronic ?
  25. gixerson

gixerson Member

[Dec 17, 2012]
    Yep both the car and the steering are DSG, i assume the the original was DSG as well but i've only recently bought the car so can't say 100%.

I can confirm that the paddles, cruise control, indicators etc all work though.
  26. fangio

fangio Well-Known Member

[Dec 17, 2012]
    Mike. could he have the wrong loom in the s/wheel?

When I fitted that same wheel to my car, I first got the original horn wires altered to reach the terminals and everything except the buttons worked even though the plugs to them matched. Got the correct loom for that air-bag and wheel and all works properly.

Mine was a 4 spoke wheel with the shield air-bag.
  27. mike foster

[Dec 17, 2012]
    Fangio, that is exactly what I have been researching for the last hour ! If he has Tiptronic then I'm almost certain the module will be ok. That only leaves the airbag loom and coding.

I'm a bit concerned that the original airbag may have been single stage but maybe we'll never know!

Gixerson, I need your VIN to try and find your original wheel/airbag. According to ETKA a fbmfsw with paddles was not available for a 2004 which indicates to me that it might not be compatible.

Also is the car a sportback ?

PM me the VIN if you don't want to publish it.
  28. Boon

[Dec 17, 2012]
    Could do with some wring diagrams for the looms to see if they are different, I know mine do not match in colours but they light up and work as described
  29. gixerson

gixerson Member

[Jan 18, 2013]
    Well the vagcom finally arrived today, if you ever find yourself in Greece do not under any circumstances have anything sent by fedex.

So i did a scan and have spoken with Mike via PM, it seems that my problems with the steering wheel CD controls are just the tip of the iceberg as the scan came back with many errors.

So i started the thread to see if i could get the steering wheel CD control buttons to operate in the same method as the labels say, NOW my main worry is if the airbag is operational.

I would greatly apriciate any advice on the list of errors, but my main priority now is to ensure the correct operation of the airbag.

Any ideas please?
  30. mike foster

[Jan 18, 2013]
    Out of my depth I'm afraid but does anybody recognise the airbag coding at address 15 ?

Retro-fitting a fbmfsw to an '04 DSG that had a 4 spoke single stage bag - how does that work with that coding ?

NHN please :shrug: ????
  31. grr666

grr666 Member

[Jan 18, 2013]
    I'm most interested in the panel on the rear of the wheel that
    has no badging. I want one so I can debadge my MFBSW on my S3.
    Anybody have a part number?
  32. gixerson

gixerson Member

[Jan 20, 2013]
    You've been a massive help Mike for which i'm extremely grateful :thumbsup:

Should clarify though that i would still appreciate some help with these errors and clearing them up, but right now the buttons are low on my priority list.

In order of preference i would be grateful with in any in sorting out:

1/ Getting the airbag working and working correctly

2/ Clearing up the majority of those errors

3/ Then getting the steering wheels CD player buttons working correctly

I do have a couple of questions as well.

When i took the log i did 2 datalog scans, the first was with the engine off the second with the engine running, looking at the log times i'm pretty sure the log i posted was the one taken with the motor running.
    Long shot i know but does this make any difference?

Secondly,
    Are these errors picked up during the scan (i.e. is each module tested as it's scanned) or are these errors problems that have occured and are stored in the memory?

If it's the later how can i clear the errors?
  33. gixerson

gixerson Member

[Jan 20, 2013]
    Ok, been doing some reading up and research.

Seems that apart from the radio errors which are due to the car coming with a copied navigation DVD all the errors are from last year or the year before.

Aparently i can clear these errors with vagcom, so i'll have a better look through the software tomorrow.

So right now my main concern is:

Will the airbag work with that controller?
  34. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Jan 21, 2013]
    Clear all errors within each faulting module, then comeback & show us the faulting module logs only, then we can work on it.
  35. mike foster

[Jan 21, 2013]
    Thanks for helping out Nige - it's way beyond my pay grade !!! :icon_thumright:
  36. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Jan 21, 2013]
    Havnt helped anything yet mate lol.
  37. mike foster

[Jan 21, 2013]
    You will mate - you will !!! lol

Maybe a trip across to Greece next time you're in Italy ??
  38. gixerson

gixerson Member

[Jan 21, 2013]
    Much appreciated, thank you.
    Unfortunately i only read your post after i'd carried out a "Clear all DTC's"

Carried out a scan after but i still had old errors in

And

Neither the "Clear all DTB's nor clearing the errors in the module cleared these errors they are still there.

Please correct me if i'm wrong but i believe the aux heater is the device that preheats the car in winter conditions?
    I have a 3rd remote that's a lot bigger than the keys, plus is the DIS i have an option for setting a time for a aux heater to activate and turn off.

If this is the culprit i'm fairly certain it's disconnected as there are some fuses and wires in the engine bay that have been disconnected.

Not much of a need for a engine pre-heater in Greece so i'm happy to disable this if it fixes the error.
  39. gixerson

gixerson Member

[Jan 23, 2013]
    Done some searching and faffing and it is indeed the Aux heater that is disconnected.

So is it possible that they didn't disable it in the software straight after disconnecting it, hence the fault codes?
    Oddly enough though the option is STILL available in the DIS :huh:

To my admittedly limited knowledge as far as vagcom goes, it doesn't seem like they are errors that are worth worrying about as they only occurred once to 5 times and the last was over 2 years ago.
    Any ideas why i can't reset them?

So unless i'm missing something (highly possible) it doesn't seem that those errors are anything to worry about.
    IF that is the case i would like to concentrate on 2 things in order of relevance please?

1/ Is it possible to tell if my airbag is correct, and will operate correctly?

2/ As my first post before i took the red pill and wandered into the wizard of vagcom
    Is it possible to get my steering wheel buttons to operate as per the labels?
    If so what is needed please?

Cheers
    Mark
  40. mookster

mookster Member

[Jan 23, 2013]
    Mark > Going back to your original question, if you need some new labels making up for the buttons so they show what the buttons actually do, this is something I could help with :)
  41. Boon

[Jan 23, 2013]
    1/ not sure, sorry

2/ You need 8P0 953 549 F steering module

You should also be able to clear the faults with AUX heater etc by disabling the coding then clear the faults