1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering wheel advice...

motffc Jan 30, 2014

1. motffc

motffc New Member

Hi All,

I currently have a the 3 spoke sport steering wheel like the one below:

Audi a3 sport steering wheel with airbag | eBay

I would like to change it too:

Vrvws AUDI A3 8P1 (2007) 3 SPOKE LEATHER STEERING WHEEL - 8P0419091CK TNA | eBay

Obviously need the air bag :laugh:

Just want to know if this would be a simple straight swap. The airbag on the new style steering wheel, would this just be plug & play?

And any coding involved?

just would like any one to confirm, I would've thought this is just a straight forward swap over....

My car is 2004 pre facelift 2.0ltr FSI 3 door sport.

Cheers

2. LEE69

LEE69 07 170 DSG Team Dolphin Grey Audi A3

There is nothing to code there are no paddles or MFSW buttons, as for fitting pass.

3. motffc

motffc New Member

Ok cheers as thought, so any one else know on the question of fitting? Is it just a straight swap out?

Thanks

4. B120WNY

B120WNY Member

Physically the wheel will fit, however you have a 1 stage airbag, and the newer models are two stage.

You could fit it for looks but the airbag wouldnt work.

There is a possibility of modifying wiring, but that would be at the hope of it firing in the event on an accident.

The wheel issue was one reason i went for a sportback as they all have 2 stage airbags!

5. motffc

motffc New Member

Ah cheers I'll forgot about that then!

Well be hopefully be buying an s3 sport back soon. For me! : )

This is the GF's car.

Many thanks for the info mate!

6. makelja

makelja Member

My steering wheel will be changed to day. Same as the original writers to a 2006 3-spoke and with 2 stage airbag.
    This can be done, but needs coding with VCDS. The airbag will be activated to use only the second stage when fired.
    I will let you know how it went when it is done.

7. motffc

motffc New Member

Ah cool will be interested to hear this, I have vcds too, so any knowledge pls share 😃

8. makelja

makelja Member

We did not succeed yesterday. The wiring loom was not correct for the DSG flaps, so we did not change the wheel. I will try to hunt for a correct loom and we will retry later.

9. motffc

motffc New Member

Ok cool, good luck!

10. makelja

makelja Member

Some news about this.
    I have not yet changed the steering wheel, but it seems like the wiring loom needed for this is: 8P0 971 589 Q
    That is on the way in post to me and I try to change the wheel asap after I get and write some more news about it then.

11. makelja

makelja Member

Success.
    I have now changed the steering wheel to a new 3-spoke wheel.
    That cable is correct, but it has to be modified a bit. There are two little clips which has to be removed from the large connector. You will see what I mean when you compare the original and the cable with that code which I posted earlier.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  12. wuta3

wuta3 Well-Known Member

You know sometimes, I look at steering wheels and think they look stupid. Not this one in specific, just steering wheels in general. They look dorky.

13. LEE69

LEE69 07 170 DSG Team Dolphin Grey Audi A3

I have just literally removed this exact wheel to replace it with a FBMFSW

14. makelja

makelja Member

I chose that one since I did not want to change the steering column ring for getting the MF's. My original was that older version which was the rounder model and I like this type better.