1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering Ratio - Anybody Modded?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by IanL-S3, Jan 5, 2005.

1. IanL-S3

IanL-S3 Member

Does anybody else find the steering on the s3 not as sharp/lowly geared as would be nice?
    What i mean is that i find i have to turn the wheel way past 180degrees for most of the corners i take on the way to work. I also find it a little vague in a straight line, so would be nice to have it geared so that lock to lock was fewer turns.
    I havent driven many other cars of this ilk and definitely not with the same scutiny of my S3, so am i'm expecting too much/being too picky/being a div? (all 3) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Ta Ian
  2. Smokebelch

Smokebelch New Member

I too noticed this on my A3 TQs.

You have to turn the wheel more than you would expect, compared to other cars of this caliber Ive driven.
  3. IanL-S3

IanL-S3 Member

Glad its not just me!!
    So there are two of us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    And i notice i wrote 180degrees when i meant more like 100degrees - but the feeling is still the same.
    Maybe its my hyper-sensitivity from playing GT2 for years with the joypad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  4. leondehaas

leondehaas Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Ian Logendra said:
    I also find it a little vague in a straight line,

[/ QUOTE ]
    doesn't that depend on tyre-type-sizes and suspension set-up.

Agreed upon the ratio, should be less.
  5. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    S3-Leon said:
    doesn't that depend on tyre-type-sizes and suspension set-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, absolutely...

You can add 'feel' by adding a bit of toe out at the front...this will make the steering livlier...I perfer the turn in with toe out.

Tyres too wide will kill turn in...they numb it.

A big of negative camber will also aid turn in as well as outright grip...the car will respond better, more quickly and have better loaded grip.

I agree that the steering is pretty numb as standard...but you can improve it immensely by playing around...and with the geometry set up aggressively I never felt that the steering rack ratio required changing.