Steering Rack?

L80EWY

Reaction score
Driving round a corner tonight and steering locks! Now it wont turn right just starts making a banging noise and juddering, turns left fine. Even when im sitting still and i turn the steering wheel right it gets so far then starts making a loud banging noise.

Any idea whats wrong...i can see a hefty bill coming

sounds like the rack indeed! What is age/mileage of car? Unfortunately they are a known problem, several members have had them changed usually due to creaking noice but never heard of such a dangerous failure before.

It had been knocking recently but thought it was track rods or something. Its a 2004 with 69k on now

Had the steering rack problem on my 04 plate. Mine just made the creeking noise & luckily it was under warranty at the time. If it wasn't it would have put me out the pocket by £1500. The tech guy at Audi even told me it's such a common problem they revised the rack around 2006. I'd defino try to get some kind of good will to cover some of the cost.

I have a PD140 quattro streering rack going spare if it fits your car.

Mine's had a new rack due to creaking:)

Been fine for 30k after :)

Was done under warranty

Mine has creaking at the moment, plus a knock when rocking the wheel... both happen only when stationary.
Getting a new one fitted next week.

And as mentioned, Audi released a modified rack, so checking to make sure this is the one that will be fitted.

Rang Audi an they wanted £800 for a new rack, so i found a one on ebay of an 06plate. Gonna get that fitted some time next week, hopefully it works..

Can anyone tell me if any rack will fit on or not? i have a 2004 2.0tdi and i have bought a rack off a 2006 2.0tdi but ive been told there is a number of different racks, can anyone point me in the right direction..