1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

steering rack...please help...16000 km

shamrock Jun 3, 2010

1. shamrock

shamrock Member

Hi I am new to an audi and new to this great forum. There are only 13 S3's where I come from so the mechanics are not so familiar. I've had the car for the last 4000 km of its total 16000. Ive always noticed a slight rattle from the front end when going over uneven road surfaces and I believe the rattle has gotten worse recently. I had a mechanic (not audi authorized) look over the car quickly. Firstly, when the steering wheel is moved back and forth (only a 3 cm wiggle) from any position I feel and hear a clunking noise. This only happens when the car is turned on. When holding the tire and moving the steering wheel back/forth the clunk is felt more pronounced in the left tire. The mechanic (only looked a couple minutes) feels that the steering rack is shot; however, I have yet to bring it to the audi garage. The car has only 16000 km and I think the noise has been around a long time! The car has always been driven with extreme car and no agressivness. I dont even speak the language here and a new rack costs about 4000 $. The car is three years old and no longer under warrantee. Can anyone help me I am going tomorrow morning to the dealer and then I am on duty for a month. Any clue as to whether this is a known problem. Can anyone give me some technical links!! Thanks