Steering Rack Lifespan

S4 Muzza

oww! my giant blue head!
Reaction score
After 150k, my steering rack has finally kicked the bucket. Fortunately i've managed to bag a used one off ebay for less than £100. Its done 90k but i wasnt really put off by this for two reasons, a) my own one lasted much longer and b) i dont really hear of too many people having trouble with the rack.

My question is, are there many people out there who HAVE had to replace it on lower mileage?

And on the flip-side, are there any high milers out there who are still on the original? (go on, reassure me....)

Cheers!

I had to change mine at about 60k if I remember correctly. I went for a recon one from a company in Birmingham called ACS. This was 2 years ago and so far no issues.

When the rack in my A3 went at 180k I got one from ACS and it was fine. Only cost £125 too.

liam

Rack, Pump and Oil cooler repalaced at 120,000 after Plymouth Audi did a "free winter check" and Service and failed to spot it leaking, it all let got 200 miles later £2k bill to fix. I think if Plymouth Audi had done their job properly it could have been caught.

my rack went at about 117,000 but that was cause the previous owner put the wrong type of fluid in it as there are two different types so make sure you get the right fluid for your car :)

i guy i know who's a machanic said there are two different types of fluid for the steering rack and if they get mixed it ****s the seals up im not saying this is true just going off what he said if that makes sense !