1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering problem??

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by A3Bash, Feb 27, 2010.

1. A3Bash

A3Bash Member

[Feb 27, 2010]
    I had the steering rack changed as there was a constant rattling noise, under the warranty & problem has gone happy to say :rockwoot:. But, the steering is a lot heavier & when you turn it, it seems to stick in that direction! It doesn't come back and straighten the wheels like it used to, almost as if it's lost the PAS. Will this get better over time or does it need looking at again?? Cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. willmac

willmac Member

[Feb 27, 2010]
    Sounds dodgy to me , It was carried out by Audi dealer I am assuming by the warranty statement ?
    I would take it straight back in and explain to them it is not right.Stand your ground. Steering should be like new after being repaired.
    I had same problem with Mk5 Golf GTI inclusive of other issues and eventually took it back and demanded another car............. which they kindly did ! ( Very lucky )
  4. vw754

vw754 vorsprung Durch Technik

[Feb 27, 2010]
    might just need steering boost setting,maybe the previous boost was set a bit lighter.
  5. A3Bash

A3Bash Member

[Feb 27, 2010]
    Thanks for replies, I thought about the boost but just hate it when my car has to go back in..hopefully it can be done whilst I wait or something. Willmac these guys find it hard to top up the washer fluid level for free, getting another car is surely out the question. Cheers
  6. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Feb 27, 2010]
    What year is the car? Was it Audi that did it or a garage? IIRC only before 2007 you can adjust the boost control (I made mine slightly heavier).

The steering is heavy & doesn't self centre if the car hasn't been re-coded correctly.
  7. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

[Feb 27, 2010]
    ""The steering is heavy & doesn't self centre if the car hasn't been re-coded correctly""

Yup mine did that after i fitted a new S/Wheel. Its a simple 2minute fix to code it.
  8. A3Bash

A3Bash Member

[Feb 28, 2010]
    It's a 2004...ye it was audi who did it...so I'll just go down and hopefully it'll be done in a few mins?
  9. Ads

Ads License to drive

[Jul 3, 2010]
    Bit of a resurrection............. how is this re-coding of the steering done??
  10. A3Bash

A3Bash Member

[Jul 4, 2010]
    Well for my case it didn't need re-coding I was told, they just took it to the back of the garage and half hour later it was sorted.