Steering (?) problem - any ideas?

jesters3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Morning. :cold:

I've got this strange high pitched 'yawning' sound when I turn the car left a low speeds (seemd to occur in 2nd gear - but not consistent).

I wind down the wind down the windows to hear; going straight no sounds, turn the steering wheel slightly left or right and you get a light tapping sound, take a bend (seems to occur more left than right) and apply 1/4 to 1/2 lock and get this yawning sound with the tapping thrown in.

At higher speed you can not hear either. At low speed I disengage the gears and coast with no tapping only the yawning when i turn. Engage the gears and they both return. However on coming into the business park where I work, I apply the same application and there was no sound. Only when I whip it in hard left do I hear the yawning.

Quick squiz under and nothing obvious seems to be afoot. Haven't looked under the bonnet yet, as the sound appears to becoming from the wheel area - though it could be coming from the left of the engine.

I thought it may be the steering pump but the drive feels okay when pootling along. Could it be the rack? Are there any 'simple' ways to have a look at these components before I get it booked into Storm (probably not for a couple of weeks though)?

Any ideas? :confused:

Cheers all

Yeah check your fluid, if its ok pas pump could be on its way out, if it goes it'll prob go with a bang so if you open the bonnet to fluid a-plenty dont worry too much, just dont drive it dry or it'll cause all sorts of problems.

mines doing the same thing! Grr. I'll check the fluid over the weekend and if that doesn't sort it i'll have to book it in with Awesome. No tapping noise on mine tho'.

Nice touch, just had a quick look and yes it is pretty much empty!! Spoke to Audi and they have some fluid in stock at £8 a bottle. So off down there at lunch. Just searched on 'power steering fluid' on loads came up on it. Leecs3 from what I read it's best to check and top up sooner rather than lleave it whine as this will damage seals and what not. Hopefully that will cure the issue. Cheers all

jesters3 said:
Nice touch, just had a quick look and yes it is pretty much empty!! Spoke to Audi and they have some fluid in stock at £8 a bottle. So off down there at lunch. Just searched on 'power steering fluid' on loads came up on it. Leecs3 from what I read it's best to check and top up sooner rather than lleave it whine as this will damage seals and what not. Hopefully that will cure the issue. Cheers all

should imagine theres a leak somewhere?

If its pretty much empty, then its probably fecked the pump already....
My pump is on its way out too, but its fine if u keep the revs up or blip the throttle when parking in a tight space. im just gonna live with it until it gives up completely

nky_84 said:
If its pretty much empty, then its probably fecked the pump already....
My pump is on its way out too, but its fine if u keep the revs up or blip the throttle when parking in a tight space. im just gonna live with it until it gives up completely

Don't say that!

Just got my 2 x bottles of fluid and going to fill her up when she's cooled down.

Fingers crossed.

Yeah, thought while I was there I should get some spare incase it is leaking.

i've just done mine, problem sorted so far. Audi had sold out, they said it most be the time of year. Went around to VW and got it there, same stuff couple of quid cheaper.

claudefrog said:
2 bottles... lol.. half a bottle will do you I bet.

Hahaha I see what you mean only poured in a couple of glugs and it was near MAX!

Oh well at least I DEFINITLY have some spare now!

It also appears the sound has gone!!!

Cheers again

:icon_thumright:

Its worth turning the wheel lock to lock a few times then rechecking the fluid, as this bleeds the system to make sure there is no air left in it.

I heard the correct procedure is the following:

- top up fluid
- Put the car on axle stands so both front wheels are off the ground
- ignition on, engine off, turn wheel lock to lock a few times.
- engine on, turn wheel lock to lock a few times again

apparently then, thats the system bled....

also check your pas drive belt for tension. more likely cause for grumbling steering

simch said:
also check your pas drive belt for tension. more likely cause for grumbling steering

Is it fairly common for the belt to stretch? That was my next point to check before replacing the pump. How tight should it be, is there any adjustment to remove the slack or is it a case of getting a new belt?