Steering play?

dan77

dan77
Reaction score
Ive got a bit off play in my steering, nothing drastic but definitely noticeable, I read on another forum about some kind of adjuster on the steering rack anybody know anymore info on this how easy is it to get at etc, wanna try that before replacing track rods, ball joint etc

Before you condemn the rack, check where the play is as it maybe one of those components, there are no adjusters afaik, only the tie's can be adjusted via the threaded & nut locking fixing.

forgive me if this doesn't make sense:uhm:, if i try it with the ignition off, (effectively power steering off) and it still does is will that mean its the rack, or will the rack still move under a little bit of force?

Funny you say this ive notice same. Although its my steering wheel (im guessing you mean same) its just wobbles abit. Audi didnt notice it on saftey check and i totally forgot to ask them aha.

yeah steering wheel! I've taken the bit off trim off behind the pedals and checked the joint behind that and thats solid?

Sounds like racks ******** unless the tie rod bushes are goosed, needs raising & checking rods 1st.