Steering not straight after cruise control fitting

***DK***

Reaction score
Fitted cruise yesterday, seems the steering is now a little off, have to have the wheel slightly turned left to keep straight.
Anyone know best way to straighten it up?
There is the dial piece behind the wheel, do i just turn that right a bit and put the wheel back on?

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

You've put the wheel back in off centre pal. I'd take the wheel off then refit.

Reactions: Beardymat
Thing is, im starting with the wheels straight and the clock spring behind the wheel is dead centered with the airbag plug at 12 o clock. So the steering wheel is going on straight, then its when i drive it seems to throw itself off. Wondering whether vcds steering angle sensor alignment maybe sets it back straight? Not sure why my fiddling with the stalks yesterday would have thrown it off. The ESP light goes off after I turn the wheel left, right and drive slowly off so assuming that means I'm within the tolerance levels for alignment.

Not yet as not had my laptop with the software this weekend. Should be able to scan tomorrow.

Wondered if anyone lives near me with full VCDS might be able to assist me on Friday for a couple of hours to fully activate my cruise control and possibly also calibrate my steering angle sensor? I'm in Herne Hill London SE24. I have VCDS Lite and an ebay cable which just doesn't seem to cut it for these types of jobs.
Looked on the VCDS map but the only guy who seems to show as near, apparently now lives in NW London.

I think the solution is taking cruise control off and fitting it to my car :happy:

I'm with @Dani_B19 sounds like the steering wheel is just a little off center, I mark mine before removing and refitting.

Worth getting it scanned too as something else could have been knocked or fitted slightly differently during instillation.

There should be a line on the casting inside the steering wheel under the retaining nut and a corresponding dot on the steering column. match them up if they are there and it should be back to normal. I have had one where the dot wasn't there so I put one in before removing the steering wheel. If yours doesn't have the marking just move it one spline in the required direction then try that. You don't have to fully remove the wheel just pull it back far enough to clear the splines, turn it then pop it back. That way you wont lose your position and the steering angle sensor will follow the wheel so don't worry about that.

The steering angle sensor only detects the angle you have the wheel at and cannot influence the steering in the way you describe, you may get a fault light if the wheel is off far enough when driving straight as the car can tell when the wheels are straight via the wheel speed sensors so throws an error due to conflicting information but will clear when the wheel is set straight.

I hope all that makes some kind of sense.

ok thanks very much for that detail, i'll take a look again on Friday when i should have time to whip the wheel off again and take a look.
I'm also slightly worried i may have somehow damaged the clock spring as my steering radio controls weren't working last night. Reading online that could be clock wheel related. Hoping that's just a loose connection i can resolve when I take the wheel off again.

Still, if anyone is near me and free to assist with activating the Cruise Control on Friday via VCDS that would be great.

Ok things are looking up, i had one more go and it seems to now be straight. Only issue still now is my volume and radio scan wheels on the steering wheel are no longer working. I really can't see why not and can't really find an answer to this online. Found a guy who can do full vcds scan quite near me and can activate my cruise when I'm back from holiday in a couple of weeks so maybe that will highlight what the issue is.

I work twice week in SE1
Are you near a tube station
Up in London one day next week

Only obvious thing I can think of is if you havn't re connected the black plug inside the steering wheel assuming you split it to remove the airbag. other scenarios are that you could have run out of ribbon in the slip ring if you took it off and let it spin then put it back on without re setting it, as you turn the wheel it tears the ribbon but I would expect complete failure of the steering wheel electrics so no horn and the airbag light on. you would have to mess about to do this though as the slip ring locks with the wheel off. other than that you may have overlooked a plug on the slip ring or even bent a pin in a plug.

Thanks mate I'm on holiday until 25th so will pm you when back if that's ok to sort a date that works.