1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering Judder

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Z82, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Z82

Z82 Member

Hey guys,

Just moved house so the S4 has not been used much last few weeks. I took her out the other day and when i hit 60 the steering started shaking like mad, I paniced and headed straight home. I am unsure when this started as I was imidately aware (after turning stereo off and paying attention) that there was a slight judder at lower speed too.
    When I moved house I filled the boot with about 100kg of copper (cars empty now) which it sat for 2 weeks and now back driver side is a lot lower so Im guessing this has broken a spring but would this cause my judder problem? If not any suggestions as to what to check etc please?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. tbs

tbs Member

Wheels out of balance...thrown a weight?
    Brake hose loose?
    Wheel Nut loose?

4. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

Wheel balancing as mentioned. Hitting 60 and this happening is a trade mark of this

5. Greeny233

Greeny233 Avants are just better!

First thing check all your wheel bolts are tight, but I'd say wheel balance.

6. Z82

Z82 Member

Wheel needing balanced out of the blue like that? Not related to my rear end droping?

7. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

Juddering through the steering wheel is 9 times out of 10 front wheel balancing due to the direct connection.

I would check the front wheels and go to a garage and ask for the balancing to be checked or redone..........about £10 a wheel unless you have a mate in the trade.