1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering issue

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by jibbajabba, Jun 20, 2007.

1. jibbajabba

jibbajabba Member

[Jun 20, 2007]
    Trying to source a problem with steering on my 1.9 TDi (non Quattro :-( ).

Firstly, she pulls to the left, previous trip to dealer mentioned susp. arm needed, but another mechanic overruled at next service and said it was fine?

Also, slight vibration in steering while driving, but here's the cruncher, once I hit say 75-80mph, that vibration increases where I can feel a physical knocking in the steering, so I am assuming vibration frequncy increases or something with speed.

Could this be a trackign issue, or is my steering on the way out, i.e rack replacement.

Anyone, experienced anything similar, or have any ideas
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 25, 2014]

3. Nickynibbles

Nickynibbles Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

[Jun 20, 2007]
    Both pulling & vibration is more than likely a tracking issue, certainly the cheapest place to start! Other options would then be bearing, steering rack, suspension issues but as tracking is a double figure fix i'd start there!!
  4. jibbajabba

jibbajabba Member

[Jun 21, 2007]
    Cool, will get the tracking looked at and see where that takes me...
  5. jibbajabba

jibbajabba Member

[Jul 2, 2007]
    I doubt it is tracking after all. Just experienced the knocking through the steering wheel on a broken surface turning circle at low speed.

Does this then point the finger at the column or something? Best way I can describe it is, as if there is play in whatever attaches the steering wheel to the front wheels, feels disconnected and rattles through the steering wheel.
  6. arthurfuxake

arthurfuxake Controversial & Contradictive

[Jul 3, 2007]
    CV joint?
  7. terrysingh

terrysingh Member

[Jul 3, 2007]
    i used to get a knocking through the steering on some uneven roundabouts, ended up being the track rods, and upper arms, changed everything when i had the coilovers fitted, drive like a new car now,

get the wheels off and have a good look around even a bit of play or ware can cause knocking.
  8. jibbajabba

jibbajabba Member

[Jul 3, 2007]
    was hoping I wouldn't be going down this track with it.
    Upper arms, CV joints etc, are these dealer fixes or can an inexperienced mechanic (me) do the job with the right parts?