Steering issue!

Cheeks

Reaction score
So to add to the steady stream of issues I'm getting after putting my A3 back on the road I've hit another snag...

I've noticed that the car is veering off to the left, I thought it may be the discs and pads so I changed them all round (needed doing anyway) and I still seem to be having the same issue, possibly even worse, my thought is that it may be a sticky caliper? Anyone have experience with this?

Also there does seem to be more resistance turning right rather than left, my brake pedal is sometimes firm or spongy kinda decides randomly how it's going to work...

Rusted caliper pistons can cause this, if the car has been standing for a while, water can get in the dust covers and start to rust, not allowing the piston to slide in the caliper, I had this problem on my old ST200, I had to replace the Pistons and seals.

Thanks man, pretty much what I was imagining, I bought a pair of front calipers off a breakers yard for £20 so I'll swap em out tomorrow and see what it's like and rebuild the old ones!

Don't forget to bleed the master cylinder and the clutch too.

Thanks man, pretty much what I was imagining, I bought a pair of front calipers off a breakers yard for £20 so I'll swap em out tomorrow and see what it's like and rebuild the old ones!
Pretty easy, you need something to blow the Pistons out of the calipers, airline is best, but it can be done with a foot pump, then is just a matter of fitting the seals, dipped in clean brake fluid , then pushing them back in , being careful not to pinch or tear the new seals.

Thanks for the help man! Appreciate it, got a mechanic that lives in the next street, lets me borrow whatever tools I need because I use him for the jobs I don't know how to do! Haha

Is there a guide anywhere for bleeding? I know how to bleed from the calipers but didn't know anything about bleeding the clutch too? And master cylinder

Haynes manual for the A3, same procedure, or just do a search.

All done!
Still veering to the left :'(
any other ideas?

Tracking
Uneven tyre wear
Different tread patterns of tyres
Check the front ball joints for any play
Check if any play in the trackrods/rackends.

If all the above are ok could be looking at something bent like a bottom arm.

When I pull 3-9 on the driver side front there's a knock? Inner track/tie rod?

Sounds like you're replacing it - interested to hear the result. Mine tracks straight and true on level ground but is ridiculously sensitive to road camber. I also have the knock you describe.

sounds exactly the same as mine mate!

I'll let you know what happens later today!

Reactions: tomjol
So I've replaced the track rod!
Had to re-adjust the tracking (will probably take it in somewhere to finish it)

Nice and easy apart from lock nut on the track rod end seizing up!, plenty of heat later it came off!

A good wallop on the steering knuckle pops the rod end up (didn't want to hit thread)

Other than that it was pretty smooth.

It's around a 32mm to get it out, I used an adjustable spanner in the end, just enough clearance for it came out smoothly thanks to the boot keeping crap out!

Lock nut is between 21/22 mm they apparently decided to switch to imperial for one nut?

New lemforder rod is a 21mm

The nut on the rod end is a 19mm

Going to test drive and I'll post the results!

Tracking done, still wants to go left!
If I hold the wheel straight I go straight, but it wants to go left and there's slightly more resistance turning right while driving.

I'm going to check ball joints next!
And tyres

I'm going to try tyres first, as I need some anyway (cracking in tread)
and where does something like that I'm assuming it's not part of a normal alignment?

So to add to the steady stream of issues I'm getting after putting my A3 back on the road I've hit another snag...

I've noticed that the car is veering off to the left, I thought it may be the discs and pads so I changed them all round (needed doing anyway) and I still seem to be having the same issue, possibly even worse, my thought is that it may be a sticky caliper? Anyone have experience with this?

Also there does seem to be more resistance turning right rather than left, my brake pedal is sometimes firm or spongy kinda decides randomly how it's going to work...

There's another thing you can check. I ran into this problem and finally figured it out. My car came with aftermarket springs when I purchased it, but I never noticed till a few months ago that the ride height was not even across both sides. Car always tracked left, no matter how well I aligned it. Changed tires, checked bushings, changed control arms, etc... Finally got around last week to fixing said springs, and it solved my problem. This is probably not what is happening with you, but it's a very easy and quick thing to check. My left side was ~1.5cm lower than my right.

ooooh!
I'll have a check now mate thats a good shout.
this forum has literally been a lifesaver with this car haha.
thanks again everyone, i'll update when I get tyres sorted next week!

Checked ride height, all good there, but I did notice that the big control arm bushing looks like s***!
Could lower control arms cause something like that?

Yeah they're shot like it's worst now, knocked my tracking off and when I co round a corner I have to counter steer out to straighten up!

Would poly bushing the control arm along with roll bar and drop links do much to the handling?