Steering Heavy / Stiff turning at speed

cb123

Reaction score
I had thought this might be due to some kind of geometry issue but from my other post the general view was that my settings are pretty much as good as it gets.

So the steering issue is bugging me now, and thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas...

Some background, I bought the car dirt cheap as an MOT failure, among the many issues listed was excessive play in one side of the steering rack and both track rod ends had excessive play, I ended up changing the inner tie-rods and TREs on both sides and all the play went away and it passed the MOT.

The problem is, the steering is now really stiff / resistant, the PS pump seems good - when stationary I can turn lock to lock effortlessly with engine on, problems do not show up until moving at speed.

I can't see what I could have got wrong doing the inner tie-rods, I used Febi Bilstien parts, torqued them down to 100Nm, and they were pre-greased, likewise TREs - not much to get wrong I'd have thought. I had normal toe alignment done afterwards, but just learnt about raised toe that I could have apparently messed up quite badly with the work I did - could that be an issue? and do the new inner tie-rods need a while to break-in and loosen up?

Not sure if relevant but also did both upper and lower control arms on both sides and droplinks.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this would be much appreciated...

Our avant does something a bit similar, however its had all the arms done and the problem remains. I think its something in the column, binding.

On yours it could be any of the new parts, or it could be the column too!

The TRE height setting you mention wont cause stiff steering.

Thanks for the info. Take it there's nothing worth lubricating in the column or rack then?

I suppose I should have added resistant and just generally weird to my description of the steering, and handling feels sloppy - disappointing after all the new parts it's had. Hoping it's just something simple I've overlooked...