Steering Angle Sensor Help

D7YAB

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post.

Being 17 and owning an Audi that i paid my self is something i never imagined. This car is soo much better than my little old Clio i had before this.

in early December, my car battery went flat as i was in the car listening to music and left the lights on whilst the engine was off. When i finally got the car started again, the car dash lit up like a Christmas tree and looked like it carried out some diagnostics test. I had a few lights on the dash which stayed on but went after a short drive. The yellow steering light stayed on and did not go out.

I had taken my car to a few garages and they had told me its a faulty steering angle sensor. I recently saved up and bought a VCDS cable to check the issue myself and for future retrofits.

From my research i gathered it probably needs calibrating as the car was fine before the battery went flat. I followed the VW Golf (1K) Steering Assist guide on ross tech website
The light is still on in my car, but the steering is really heavy and unbearable now.

There are other faults with the car (minor issues) but the steering is my main concern as its throwing light on the dash which really bugs me.

I dont know how to attach a text file so hers the code below of the fault

00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
000 - -

When you disconnect the battery you have to recalibrate the steering sensor that sits below the steering wheel. I think it’s ignition on, then full lock one way then the other, then drive straight forwards until over 15mph and the light should disappear

Vcds does a guide for this if I remember right

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, thanks for your reply. I did this as soon as it happened and also it was in the Ross tech calibration guide which i used to try and re calibrate it. Im having to fight the steering as its now super heavy after following that guide.

Try it again, full lock to lock a couple of times and run it forward straight 10yds then back ten yards

Heavy steering means an issue with the power steering rack not the sensors, have you checked all the fuses

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, the fuses are fine. i have tried the lock to lock but since doing the basic steering settings my steering has become very heavy. im not getting a steering angle reading through vcds but the turn rate does work. is there anyway to change the heaviness through vcds?

Attachments

• NO READING.PNG
    NO READING.PNG
    18.1 KB · Views: 3,687
I can tell you its very common. Mine did this after i disconected the battery and i drove it the end of the road to my local garage, they took it in the workshop, told me wait in reception. It was less than 3 minutes before they brought it back round the front all fixed and no charge. Dont know what they did but its obviously not much. I think they just recode the PS

Yeah, if only mine is as simple as that but now i regret doing the basic settings through VCDS as it feels like there is no steering assist at all.

Mine was a total loss as well, in fact i couldn't move the steering at all until it was rolling..

Thanks, ive just tried doing lock to lock again but its still very heavy. seems like i might need a new sensor as vcds isnt reading my steering angle position.

Heres a scan ive just done.

Attachments

• Scan-WAUZZZ8P26A040132-20180213-1843-177420km-110243mi.txt
    11.9 KB · Views: 419
After some more digging, I've just seen this, http://uk-audis.net/topic/189-transform-your-a3-remap-your-steering-i-did/

From what i understood, this basically changes how much steering assist there is.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/inde...ring_Assist#Channel_001:_Characteristic_Curve

The Ross Tech wiki shows that there are 3 generations of this channel. Although not for sure, i reckon i have gen 1/early gen 2 of this channel as i am able to change the steering characteristics value under adaptation in VCDS, compared to the later models where this setting cannot be changed.

I am able to lower the settings to make it heavier (I don't know why somebody would want to make their steering unbearably heavy lol) but I'm unable to increase the value.

under steering assist and then adaptation and under channel 1, my settings only go up to 5. when i hover over the value box, it shows 1-15 as the range but when i try selecting any thing higher than 5 the button is greyed out and I'm unable to save or test it.

Firstly can somebody show me what their current setting is? (Preferably someone with an 8P1 2.0 TDI but still would like to see what the settings are on other models too)

Here's how to get to it.
  • Click on '44-Steering assist'
  • Click on 'Adaptation - 10'
  • Click on the 'Channel Number' "Up" Icon until it shows Channel 1
  • Take a screenshot of this page please :)

Secondly, Is there any way I'm able to manually change this?

Did you manage to sort this?
Lol, no im driving with partial power steering for now. Should be as simple as calibrating through vcds but ive got a faulty abs wheel speed sensor which is the reason why i cant calibrate it. Although i dont see the correlation, its what ross tech site says about the angle sensor.
Im used to driving with heavy steering now but hopefully should get this sorted once ive saved up a little and take it to garage.

Have you tried this:

Sensor for Steering Angle (G85)
Important Note: This procedure ONLY applies to Models with Conti/Teves MK70 ABS/ASR.

This Procedure does NOT apply to Conti/Teves MK60, MK60CE, MK60EC1 and similar ABS/ASR/ESP systems. Check the Vehicle specific Diagnostic Procedures pages for each ABS System page with documentation.
EXCEPTION: It may be necessary to perform this procedure (in addition to the corresponding one in the ABS itself) if the ABS coding has been lost or the ABS module has been replaced.

Prerequisites:

• Start the vehicle.
  • Turn the steering wheel one turn to the right and one turn to the left.
  • Drive in a short distance straight line on a level surface at a speed not higher than 20 km/h.
  • If the steering wheel is straight during the test drive then stop the vehicle with the wheels pointed straight.
  • Ensure that the steering wheel is not moved again.
  • Keep the engine running and do not switch off the ignition.
  • System voltage at least 12.0 V.
[Select]
[44 - Steering Assist]
[Coding-II - 11] or if that function is not available then use [Sec.Access - 16] instead
Enter 40168, to enable the basic setting.
[Do it!]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 060
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
After a successful basic setting, field 1 should say "OK".
[Done, Go Back]
To make sure the basic setting was successful, check the sensor again.
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 007
[Go!]
Check field 1, the value has to be between -1.5 and +1.5 °.
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

Note: After successful basic setting, the Steering Limit Stop needs to be adapted too.

Steering Limit Stop Adaptation
(Engine still running)

• Center steering wheel (±10°) and hold it centered for 5 seconds.
  • Turn steering wheel completely to the left and hold it there for 10 seconds.
  • Turn steering wheel completely to the right and hold it there for 10 seconds.
  • Center steering wheel (±10°).
  • Switch OFF engine and ignition.
  • Switch ON ignition.
  • Wait 5 seconds.
  • Steering Assist Warning Lamp should turn OFF. If it doesn't, perform a short test drive.

Notes:

• If the 02546 - Steering Limit Stop 005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation fault will not clear after driving the vehicle and completing the VW Golf (1K) Steering Assist procedure:
    • Increase the time in-between key cycles to 30 seconds or more.
    • Check all Adaptation values in the #44-Steering Assist controller.
    • Verify all of the WSS (Wheel Speed Sensor) values are plausible in the 03-ABS controller! We received feedback from both Mk70 equipped and MK60 ESP equipped (1K) Golf models with 02546 and 00778 DTCs that would not clear due to a faulty WSS. Even if a WSS DTC is not stored it would be advised to log or graph MVB 001 while driving.
  • It has been reported that this procedure may not work when in Park with some vehicles with automatic transmission, keep in gear with foot on the brake.

Have you tried this:

Sensor for Steering Angle (G85)
Important Note: This procedure ONLY applies to Models with Conti/Teves MK70 ABS/ASR.

This Procedure does NOT apply to Conti/Teves MK60, MK60CE, MK60EC1 and similar ABS/ASR/ESP systems. Check the Vehicle specific Diagnostic Procedures pages for each ABS System page with documentation.
EXCEPTION: It may be necessary to perform this procedure (in addition to the corresponding one in the ABS itself) if the ABS coding has been lost or the ABS module has been replaced.

Prerequisites:

• Start the vehicle.
  • Turn the steering wheel one turn to the right and one turn to the left.
  • Drive in a short distance straight line on a level surface at a speed not higher than 20 km/h.
  • If the steering wheel is straight during the test drive then stop the vehicle with the wheels pointed straight.
  • Ensure that the steering wheel is not moved again.
  • Keep the engine running and do not switch off the ignition.
  • System voltage at least 12.0 V.
[Select]
[44 - Steering Assist]
[Coding-II - 11]
or if that function is not available then use [Sec.Access - 16] instead
Enter 40168, to enable the basic setting.
[Do it!]
[Basic Settings - 04]

Group 060
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
After a successful basic setting, field 1 should say "OK".
[Done, Go Back]
To make sure the basic setting was successful, check the sensor again.
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 007
[Go!]
Check field 1, the value has to be between -1.5 and +1.5 °.
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

Note: After successful basic setting, the Steering Limit Stop needs to be adapted too.

Steering Limit Stop Adaptation
(Engine still running)

• Center steering wheel (±10°) and hold it centered for 5 seconds.
  • Turn steering wheel completely to the left and hold it there for 10 seconds.
  • Turn steering wheel completely to the right and hold it there for 10 seconds.
  • Center steering wheel (±10°).
  • Switch OFF engine and ignition.
  • Switch ON ignition.
  • Wait 5 seconds.
  • Steering Assist Warning Lamp should turn OFF. If it doesn't, perform a short test drive.

Notes:

• If the 02546 - Steering Limit Stop 005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation fault will not clear after driving the vehicle and completing the VW Golf (1K) Steering Assist procedure:
    • Increase the time in-between key cycles to 30 seconds or more.
    • Check all Adaptation values in the #44-Steering Assist controller.
    • Verify all of the WSS (Wheel Speed Sensor) values are plausible in the 03-ABS controller! We received feedback from both Mk70 equipped and MK60 ESP equipped (1K) Golf models with 02546 and 00778 DTCs that would not clear due to a faulty WSS. Even if a WSS DTC is not stored it would be advised to log or graph MVB 001 while driving.
  • It has been reported that this procedure may not work when in Park with some vehicles with automatic transmission, keep in gear with foot on the brake.
Yea ive tried this. If you see the note at the bottom, it says the car needs to be clear of abs wheel speed sensor fault. Lol with my luck my sensor is faulty and clearing it doesnt help. Im thinking of changing steering control module to highline version. Some cars have angle sensor on rack and others have it on steering control module. Hopefully mines on steering so it can be changed just as a precaution incase my angle sensor is faulty too. Thanks for the search anyways

Stored value on channel 1 is 10 on my car
Thanks, it seems im limited to 5 as my max value. I need new wheel speed sensor then hopefully vcds will be able to do the adaptation for the steering assist and things should be back to normal from there.