1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. fenian672000

fenian672000 Member

[Nov 29, 2006]
    As you read this thread u may notice that i know next to nothing about engines.

Today i "gently" washed the engine bay of my A4, i then took it out for a 10 min drive and parked it outside my house.

It was raining heavily , and as i looked out of my window i could see steam coming from the bonnet, i went out to investigate and the area of bonnet over the engine/oilfillercap/1.8t writing area was kinda warm to the touch

Is this normal, or have i done something wrong whilst rinsing the engine bay?, the temp gauge on the dash was normal.......
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 24, 2014]

3. peteA3tdi

peteA3tdi Member

[Nov 30, 2006]
    sounds like its just the water from washing the engine burning off
    ps its not good idea to wash the engine you can do a lot of damage if you get water in the wrong places
  4. colemanlee76

colemanlee76 Suspicious

[Dec 1, 2006]
    If you touch the bonnet on ur car on a dry day it will be hot even with the heat shield on the underside of the bonnet. The bonnet was steaming as the heat was drying it out! :yes:
  5. A4Andy

A4Andy Quattro-tastic. Not half.

[Dec 1, 2006]
    I crapped myself not long after buying my 1.8T A4 and this happened. It's only over that section of the bonnet as well.

Even in rain now she'll steam away quite the thing.

Nothing to worry about son.