1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Std airbox vs large filter

Scullies Feb 10, 2013

1. Scullies

Scullies Well-Known Member

Thought this might be of some interest to others. I know its a repost, but the original post was inside another thread.

So back in the day, when my S3 was a 1.8t and on the road !! I did a log with the standard airbox with a drop in k&n filter.

The max g/s I could get was 198g/s with the crappy map that was on the car.

log 1.jpg

I bought a very large filter (K&N rd-1460) for the stroker build and thought I would test it out on the K04 setup. Excuse the dirty engine and "awesome" plumbing elbow :blush:

filter.jpg

K N Universal Air Filter RD 1460 | eBay

I did a log a few days later with the large filter and found that I had gained 16g/s just from fitting the filter, the power was noticeable and when the DV dumped the boost it sounded like a bus dumping boost - I had the biggest grin on my face for awhile but then it got embarrassing around town. Wouldnt mind the sound if I had 500hp :eyebrows:

log 2.jpg

I dont know if a filter will make everyones car a bit better, my guess it would probably come down to the mapping, but it does show how a filter can increase the airflow to the turbo.

2. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

good numbers..
    we see gains from the large JR's over std. I dont remember what we saw on westys when that swap was done, but it was reasonable I recall.

3. Nogmeister

Nogmeister Member

I thought K&N's were bunk on these engines due to being oiled?

4. Scullies

Scullies Well-Known Member

My plan is to keep on top of filter maintenance and keep the maf clean

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  5. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

My memory isnt good either. I know the figures are in my thread somewhere. It was around 10bhp and 7lbft if I remember correctly, and that was dyno proven ;)

6. Ronin225

Ronin225 SEAT owner

Logged the same thing on my LCR, green panel vs a massive green cone and gained about 11g/s on a standard map

7. djarchive

djarchive Member

Bill, How'd you go about cleaning such a large, blue JR cone? (I did buy one off you a while back btw).

Good old "warm soapy water + ensure its dry" jobbie?

8. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

Take it in the shower with you. Warm soapy water is fine. Just make sure it's well dried.

9. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

yea