1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting up speedo lights

nervus Jun 13, 2014

1. nervus

nervus Well-Known Member

Anyone else noticed some S3's have red LEDs running around the outside of the Speedo which light up upon start up to follow the needle as it sweeps up and down?

Mine doesnt have it but ive seen it on some videos. Can anyone shed any light (pardon the pun) - is it a european thing or change in spec?

Cheers

2. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member Team Cosmos quattro Audi A3 S-line owners group TDi DSG

It's part of the cruise control. Perhaps even just part of ACC, the 1.4 Saloon I had the other week didn't have them even though it had standard cruise control. It just shows you what speed you have selected on the ACC.

3. mjcourtney

mjcourtney Well-Known Member Team Mythos Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group TDi

Yes, ACC only. Standard cruise control doesn't have the lights.

4. nervus

nervus Well-Known Member

Cool thanks,

I have standard Pov spec cruise - doh! I wonder if the light would have extended to 170mph with having my speed limiter removed?

5. PhatGit

PhatGit Active Member

If i'd known that I'd have spec'ed ACC just for the lights. 6 weeks to my build, so a little too close to risk a change. Should go stage 20 any day

6. 0B1001001

0B1001001 Well-Known Member Team Monsoon Audi S3

Get ACC - it's fab!

cemerson likes this.
  7. moffe

moffe Active Member

Yes... ACC is the way to go.

[​IMG]

Schizophonic likes this.
  8. AllanG

AllanG Stronic

Personally, I'm pleased I haven't got ACC, 'cos I think these lights look awful, & tacky....IMHO, of course! :cool:

9. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member Team Cosmos quattro Audi A3 S-line owners group TDi DSG

You don't see them most of the time, only when ACC is switched on. It's a very handy indicator being able to see at a glance what speed is set in the ACC. Nothing tacky about it, it's functional, not there for bling!

10. PhatGit

PhatGit Active Member

I doubt I'd really use ACC. Only tend to use normal cruise control on two stretches of road due to the stupid number of speed cameras. Plus really don't want to risk knocking the date back as I've waited since 1 March already and on target for a 1 Sept delivery. Who knew the S3 saloon would be so popular!

11. veeeight

veeeight I am a very pretty girl VCDS Map User Black Edition

I use ACC daily. As soon as I come up to some backed up traffic, no matter where, I knock it on.

Automatic stop-start and stop-go with S-tronic is a winner :)

RYuill likes this.
  12. constvoid

constvoid Active Member Audi A3

That's a contradicton in terms. I do see them most of the time becase ACC is almost always on. :laugh:

13. Martinbanshee

Martinbanshee Well-Known Member TeamMisano Audi S3 quattro saloon

In stop/go traffic with ACC on & when the engine cuts out due to the stop/start eco system does the engine automatically restart or do you have to dab pedal/pull cruise lever?

14. veeeight

The engine automatically restarts as soon as the ACC detects the car in front moving off (or if other factors require engine).

But

If the car has been stationary (0mph) for more than 3 secs, then it needs a pull of the lever or dab on the throttle to move forward.

15. Martinbanshee

So to clarify, if I was stationary for 15 seconds and the car in front moved off my car would automatically restart the engine but not move off until some action by me?

16. veeeight

Correct, except its 3 seconds in the case of the A3 ACC.

17. Martinbanshee

Thanks, good to know.

18. Pulp84

Pulp84 Well-Known Member Audi S3

It looks good for sure this feature. I saw it on the Audi UK S3 launch video and wondered why I didn't have the lights - now I know!