1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting troubles

woody83 Oct 10, 2013

1. woody83

woody83 New Member

I have read through a few posts on this topic, and im still a little unsure where to start looking for issues with this. I was having trouble for a few days a couple of months ago where the starter would turn the engine a little longer than normal before it fired. Over about a week, this got gradually worse, until it didnt start at all. However, it started straight away every time after being stood all day at work (9hrs). I tried jump starting, and it fired straight up after being stood fopr two days. I bought a new battery, did a service, (fuel/oil/air filters, oil ect) and this seemed to sort the problem. That was a month ago. This morning, it was a little colder than normal, (9°C) and it struggled to start. I have bought some glow plugs, which I will try but I thought that they only worked in very cold conditions anyway? Does anybody have any ideas what I can check or what may be causing the issue?

My thoughts are - Starter motor works fine with new battery and when jump starting, so unlikely
    - Its not that cold so glow plugs wont make much difference
    - fuel pump - last resort to change, although know this model has fuel and oil pump issues!
    - Could it be a short that the damp/cold effects?

This is for a 2006 2.0TDI 170 Any advice appreciated, will also check the voltage from alternator tonight. Sorry for the long post!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  2. SAiLO

SAiLO Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

What battery did you get? Also maybe there is something that drains the battery.

3. RedDejavu

RedDejavu Well-Known Member

Alternator not charging up?

4. Artimus

Artimus Shortback

Faulty temperature sensor?

5. woody83

woody83 New Member

It seems after I fitted the new battery, changed the glow plugs, and gave it a service, which was due anyway. The problem seemed to go away, put a meter across the alternator and this all looked fine. I now have trouble with the car going into limp mode, seems its been trouble ever sine I bought the thing!