1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting problems!

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by liam_bettinson, Feb 13, 2008.

1. liam_bettinson

liam_bettinson Section-5.net

[Feb 13, 2008]
    I'm pretty sure it must be a common fault as I've seen another A4 in a car park having the same issue I'm having...

When I start the car now and again it runs for around 1-2 seconds then cuts out and I can try around 3 or 4 times before starting and running (7 tries was the worst ever!) ...however, there is no pattern to it whatsoever! On some cold days it starts first time no bother and other times even after a long journey it will cut out on start so can't get my head around it! Also think it may be normal but my car runs on first start at around 1200RPM then after a few mins settles down to 900RPM as normal (is it some sort of auto choke?)

All I can put it down to would be that I do a lot of short journeys but pretty sure it's not the battery but am sure it's gotta be an electrical fault!

Has anybody else had this problem and had it sorted? If so what is it and how much will it cost me!? lol.

Thanks in advance :)

Liam
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 27, 2014]

3. A4NA18

A4NA18 Member

[Feb 14, 2008]
    Just a little bit of a doubt in your case: do you have the usual immobiliser problem maybe?!
  4. liam_bettinson

[Feb 14, 2008]
    No idea...what's the usual immobiliser problem...but it sounds like it could be something to do with it!
  5. Mothy69

Mothy69 3rd Gear

[Feb 14, 2008]
    sounds more like a cold start / idle issue.. rather than immobiliser imo - does it do it if you apply some gentle revs rather than leaving it on tick over (ie will it run & not cut out if you use the gas)

i think its fairly normal for it to start & run slightly faster rpm for a little bit before settling down to normal too imo. mine does sometimes..
  6. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Feb 14, 2008]
    When its cutting out and needs restarting, does the little yellow key icon on the dash flash???

Easy way to rule one against the other
  7. liam_bettinson

[Feb 19, 2008]
    Mothy, even when I give it lots of revs it still cuts out which is why I think it's an electrical cut-off of some sort rather than something mechanically dodgy.

Byzan, I was until the little yellow light goes off before starting (I assume this is the immobilzer symbol) and even after that it still cuts out...

My mate has a VAGCOM thing and he plugged it in and it came up with an immobilizer fault so guess it's that! But not sure on how to sort it...don't fancy going to Audi as it'll cost me several billion pounds. Is this a common fault then and if so how it is sorted?
  8. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 19, 2008]
    Move the steering wheel up & down. If this sorts it then it's either a bad connection to/from the immobiliser coil, or you just need t seperate the immobilser feed from the other wires in the loom as there have been issues with this wire getting electrical interference from the others and providing false readings to the immobilser.