Starting problems

Randomjim

Reaction score
Had our first proper frost this morning and my car only just coughed into life and again when leaving work this afternoon. Is it just the cold weather or could it be something else?

Spark plugs and the two ignition leads have been changed recently.

Battery?? Its usually not until its cold a dodgy battery presents istelf. More strain to turn over the cold engine etc etc

Also electrics might be worth checking, get the alternator checked and starter motor before things give out on you.

Mate at works bettle (1968 one) has done that, he put a new battery on it, and two weeks on that is dead now and it was a wiring fault.
I personally had the same issue on a mk2 golf and replaced the alternator and battery just to find a wiring fault!

Edit: sorry that was meant as in check those also before assuming it is battery.

Oh yea that's an idea. Had the car nearly 3 years an its still got the same one on there. Tested it at my old job an it was fine but that was a while back now. I'll see if i can get that checked tomorrow.

Is it a sealed one or 'top-up' type mate?

I went out to mine one morning a couple of weeks ago, turned the key and it just spluttered a couple of times and that was it. The only other issue it'd given me was on the roof of the car park at Terminal 3 Heathrow when it wasn't for starting; as the starter was turning a little we thought it might be worth trying to do a hybrid-bump-and-key start (can't just bump-it because it's a diesel) and thankfully with the mrs' skills at the clutch-pedal/key and my pushing at the boot it lurched into life.

Anyway, when it was totally dead a couple of weeks ago I remembered I'd not checked the electrolyte level for a loooooong time; had a look and it was pretty much dry! One bottle of de-ionised water and a jump-start later it was working fine again and *touch wood* it's been spot on since then...

Regards,

Rob.

Its a bosch silver so sealed. I've been worried about it before but then it was fine so i left it. Must be finally going now.