1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting problems

matt blowen Aug 9, 2013

1. matt blowen

matt blowen Member

Hi there i have a a3 1.8t agu, my car wont always fire up! Thougt crank sensor but whist cranking it reads 200+ on vcds. It wil bump start then run rough and very low idle until i flick the throttle. Sometimes it will fire of the key but like before it will run as if its on 3 cyl unti i give it some gas. Please help oh and no fault codes

2. auditech12

auditech12 New Member

Does the car come right & idle normaly, drive normaly after the flick of throttle or always missfire, run rough?

Idea #1 Air Flow Meter.

Idea#2 Depending if your car runs fine or not after you flick the throttle.
    Check Coils. You can loosen them but leave them connected, put a spark plug in one coil at a time, get a mate to crank the engine & check for spark. Obviously do this one coil at a time untill you either find a faulty coil or not.

(FYI: If it was a Crank Sensor your car wouldn't start full stop.)

If you get that far with no luck, let us know....

Cheers

3. CMcKenzie

CMcKenzie It's supposed to do that..

4. matt blowen

matt blowen Member

yes a bit similar to your vid, auditech12 I have removed each coil pack and 1st 2nd 3rd spark plug covered in oil so ive ordered a rocker cover gasket hopefully that should sort it. gunna order new ngk platinum plugs as well

5. matt blowen

matt blowen Member

Ok ive changes rocker gasket and plugs, but still happens!! When car is running and i unplug the maf it cuts out, is this normal?

6. bree9482

bree9482 Member

feel for ya dude :(