1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting problems with a3 1.8

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Fatalignition, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Fatalignition

Fatalignition New Member

Hi,

I'm pretty new to the world of Audi ownership as I recently bought a w reg 2000 A3 1.8.

It's been fine until today when it's not been starting, it seems to start fine in the morning and after work (when it's been sat for a while. I drove the car for about 20 minutes to the shops but then it wouldn't start after about 30 minutes of it being switched off. I eventually got it started after having to rev while turning the ignition. I then got home, turned off the ignition and tried starting it up again and it failed. But after leaving it about an hour it started fine? I'm not mechanically attuned what so ever.

I just wondered if anyone could give me a but of advice? I did google it and it said to put it on vagcom? I've no real idea what that is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!:yes:

Cheers.
  2. stu_b

stu_b Member

I had the same trouble with mine does it sometimes squeal after start up?
    If so it could be the bearings in the starter are goosed.
    It could as be worth giving it a service if its a new car to you new plugs etc all might help
  3. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

I would give it a full service and see how you go,, if still a problem you need to get it on the vcds or you maybe chasing rainbows,.....
  4. DenCar

DenCar Member

Find someone with a Vag-Com (VCDS) to read any error codes, the codes, if any, may point you in the right direction. to your starting problem.

Good Luck

DC
  5. jay1601

jay1601 Well-Known Member

mine does this sometimes aswell, i know mine is the starter motor is on the way out