1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Starting" problem on TDi 140

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Neil C, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Neil C

Neil C Member

Drove the 22 miles to work this morning - no probs (except for the -3 to -8 outside temperature).

Tonight, however, after starting as normal, and ticking over fine whilst I set the heater, switched on the rear demister, and fastened my seatbelt, the engine just died as I tried to reverse out of the parking space. When I triied to restart it, it struggled to fire properly, then died again. This happened for a third time, so I went looking for puddles of liquid on the ground, or something, but all was OK Just about resigned to having to call the AA, I tried one last time and PRESTO ! back to normal. A nervous drive home has yielded no further mishaps.

Does anyone have an idea what may have caused the above ?

If it helps, the car has done 24k, and is not due another service for 5-odd k.

Thanks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. AudiLad

AudiLad Member

strange that,especially concedering it had started as normal and then decided to die,take it to audi and let them sort it for you if it continues

4. marms

marms Member

I had a very similar problem with my Sportback. Died like you said and took a bit of starting again. Then seemed fine. Eventually it did it again but this time it put a light on the dash and VAG-COM diagnosed a faulty engine speed sensor. This was subsequently changed under warranty.

Apparently it's a faily common fault on the 2.0 TDi 140.

5. Neil C

Neil C Member

Thanks Marms. Will see what happens over the next few days / weeks.