1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Starting" problem on TDi 140

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Neil C, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Neil C

Neil C Member

[Feb 18, 2008]
    Drove the 22 miles to work this morning - no probs (except for the -3 to -8 outside temperature).

Tonight, however, after starting as normal, and ticking over fine whilst I set the heater, switched on the rear demister, and fastened my seatbelt, the engine just died as I tried to reverse out of the parking space. When I triied to restart it, it struggled to fire properly, then died again. This happened for a third time, so I went looking for puddles of liquid on the ground, or something, but all was OK Just about resigned to having to call the AA, I tried one last time and PRESTO ! back to normal. A nervous drive home has yielded no further mishaps.

Does anyone have an idea what may have caused the above ?

If it helps, the car has done 24k, and is not due another service for 5-odd k.

Thanks.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. AudiLad

AudiLad Member

[Feb 18, 2008]
    strange that,especially concedering it had started as normal and then decided to die,take it to audi and let them sort it for you if it continues
  4. marms

marms Member

[Feb 18, 2008]
    I had a very similar problem with my Sportback. Died like you said and took a bit of starting again. Then seemed fine. Eventually it did it again but this time it put a light on the dash and VAG-COM diagnosed a faulty engine speed sensor. This was subsequently changed under warranty.

Apparently it's a faily common fault on the 2.0 TDi 140.
  5. Neil C

Neil C Member

[Feb 18, 2008]
    Thanks Marms. Will see what happens over the next few days / weeks.