Starting / misfiring problem

Slevan7

Reaction score
Hello gentleman I'm new to the group and have purchased my first audi an 2004 A4.

Cars a 2.4 v6

However I'm having a problem starting the car first off all my girlfriend ran the car out of fuel a week ago, and ever since its struggled to start and when it does after a good few tries it's misfiring.

I was suspecting some crap from the fuel tank had blocked an injector or two, I haven't really pulled anything apart yet but was wondering what you guy's thought?

If so can I clean these out or is it best to just find the possible problem one and replace it?

Also the whole time I've had the car the radiator fan had been on even a cold morning before you start the engine.
I've plugged a cheap diagnostic reader in and I'm getting code p0117 apparently it's a (temperature sensor low power input) I was looking on Google and there's a bad switch that can cause this there only a few pounds so I might get one also someone mentioned the thermostat might be stuck open so as there penny's I might get one and do them at the same time.

Any advice before I get looking or ordering things I might not need I'd be grateful.

☺️

Goin the cheap route definitely a few tanks of injector cleaner than replacing injectors. I'm gonna go on a limb a say replacing the sensor more than likely will turn your fan off. Try a bottle of intake foam. Its worked wonders for my old no adjustments intake fuel injection but its your cash happy motoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In theory the fuel filter should trap any debris from the bottom of the tank. As it's 2004 it's possible that it could have a bit of debris in the tank and/or fuel filter has been overlooked/neglected. Personally, I'd change the fuel filter and put some injector cleaner e.g. Reddex (double dose full bottle) in the tank and see if that helped.

Thanks guys I might pull the injectors off and test them give them a good clean well I'm at it. I like the idea of using a fuel additive but I think as it's problem starting it's going to be difficult to get it to work that way.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Really strange one, I got a new coolant temperature sensor for the fan issue and that solved the misfire problem

Never heard of that before, at least it's all fixed now.

The sensor could have been reporting 90 degrees (warm engine) when it was in fact stone cold (probably why the fans were running all the time), this in turn would mean the fuelling was too lean, result = hard starts and misfires.
Glad to hear it's okay now. Some cars will not start at all if that sensor fails, Seat's I think, if memory serves.

Worth changing the coolant sensor first these are a common problem and cheap so no real reason not to. I would doubt the misfire is being caused by an injector if you suspect the problem is being caused due to the fuel running out the first place I would look is the fuel filter. If it was me I would change the coolant sensor and then put the car on a proper diagnostic tool. Misfires are normally detected without problem and you can also measure the fuel system pressure but you will need something other than a generic code reader. Going down this route will save a lot of time and guessing in the long run. If you are anywhere near me (Leicestershire) I can help you with the diagnostics. Put this down to general advise as I obviously had not read the whole thread properly.

Last edited: