1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starter Motor

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by kaizokuninja, Apr 24, 2009.

1. kaizokuninja

kaizokuninja Member

[Apr 24, 2009]
    Reet,

My starter motor is most definitely on its way out.. had it confirmed by a dealer technician who knew i wasn't gonna buy it from there so i think i can trust his word..

Basically it over-runs when you turn the ignition like when you hold the key on when the engine starts, if you know what i mean? =)

Basically, looking for anyone who may have a spare they can send my way, failing that the cheapest place to get a decent replacement online.

Cheeeeeeers ^_^
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 20, 2014]

3. mike_plymouth

mike_plymouth Member

[Apr 24, 2009]
    i had two from GSF and they were both duff, had the same problems as the one i was replacing. went to a local independent who refurbs them, got a Bosch refurb for 60 quid (half the price as GSF) popped it in and it was perfect and has been now for months.
  4. kaizokuninja

kaizokuninja Member

[Apr 24, 2009]
    jesus.. they're a little more expensive than the ones i've found on ebay... generally around 40 delivered.
    I'll shop around a bit, there is a breakers yard not far from here, i'll see if they have any scrapped a3's....

Anybody know if they have to be engine specific or could i put, say an s3 or TT one on there which may be of better quality?
  5. leshkin

leshkin Hold my beer... VCDS Map User

[Apr 25, 2009]
    The ones you see on e-bay are not OEM or any brand name parts. Spend your money with caution.

My old A3 did the starter noise for over a year and worked every time, so I'm pretty sure you have some time before yours goes completely. Shop around mate.
  6. kaizokuninja

kaizokuninja Member

[Apr 25, 2009]
    one've was a bosch one off a tt that is why i wondered if a tt one would fit... cheers anyway =D
  7. mike_plymouth

mike_plymouth Member

[Apr 25, 2009]
    well gsf had 2 different shapes that they said would fit mine, i would check and double check the fitment type from a tt as the 2 that gsf said would fit were very very different motors all together
  8. mike_plymouth

mike_plymouth Member

[Apr 25, 2009]
    oh, and just remember that all starter motors you buy, even from places like GSF are all refurbs anyway
  9. kaizokuninja

kaizokuninja Member

[Apr 25, 2009]
    KK cheers dude..