Starter Motor issue??? Please help!!!

Lion Heart

Reaction score
Hi guys

We have a 2004 S4 Cabriolet and when we first got it we noticed a 'grindy' on and off noise when starting the car if you held the key fully locked for a second or so before releasing the key.

Normally of course you don't hold the key fully locked, as you release it as soon as the motor starts.

However, this 'grindy' noise could be heard for a split second before you release the key - and sounded AWEFUL!!!

So, logic said starter motor (???). So we removed it, had it reconditioned with a 12 month warranty, and put it back in.

But the noise is still there!!!

Is there something apart from the starter motor this could be - or is it possible they screwed the recondition job?

Has anyone else had this similar issue?

The noise is ONLY when the engine starts and key is fully locked. As soon as you release the key the noise stops.

It's a 2004 manual.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks guys!

Lion Heart :meeting:

my brothers golf had a sound like that, ended up being a lot of crap around the duel mass flywheels teeth that was causing the starter to stay engaged a little longer that it should, hence the sound,

he stated the engine, kept it running, took the starter off, and blasted a load of cleaner on the flywheel teeth at it span past the hole. he was under the car on a set of proper garage ramps that hold the car 6ft up in the air.

i had this on my a4 i dont think you can take the starter motor out with the car running on the a4.s as the live wier will hit the engine for sure its very close need to take the batter off or ca boooom lol do the golf engines sit in the same way mate

Thanks guys

Seems logical. The starter motor stuck on once after having it reconditioned, had to quickly disconnect the battery!!!

So yes, maybe this is the solution. Will give it a try anyway!

Any other ideas welcome also!

Many thanks

Lion Heart