Start Stop?

martyboy

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Just been for a little drive in my new car, love it, but I'm not quite sure how the start stop works! The engine never stopped once at any junctions or traffic lights, is there a way to turn it on and off or how should it actually work with regards to being in gear, clutch in, hand brake on/off???
Cheers

If you drive a manual you must be in neutral and with the clutch fully depressed. You don't need to apply the handbrake.

There are situations when the SS won't engage and these are sometimes when the car is still warming up, the battery needs more power (stereo on, heated seats, heated mirrors, heated back window etc). There is a button on the dash to turn the SS off... but otherwise it will be on.

Knock it into neutral, release the clutch and you should hear it cut out unless the car needs it running for the reasons mentioned above. Mine cut in today whilst waiting for the Mrs. Scared the life out of me when twenty minutes later the care sprung to life whilst I was minding my own business. Seems a very very intuitive system.

I find the SS really useful. However, you have to remain focussed if you have ACC, SS and an S tronic box. The car will come to a halt in a queue of traffic, turn off and sit there all ready to go at half a seconds notice. Should you accidently stab the accelerator pedal you will be driving up the exhaust pipe of the car in front before you know it as there is no mechanical handbrake to prevent disaster. Accidently pressing the accelerator is not unknown if you get distracted - turning around to get something off the back seat or adjusting your position on the seat etc.

I find the SS really useful. However, you have to remain focussed if you have ACC, SS and an S tronic box. The car will come to a halt in a queue of traffic, turn off and sit there all ready to go at half a seconds notice. Should you accidently stab the accelerator pedal you will be driving up the exhaust pipe of the car in front before you know it as there is no mechanical handbrake to prevent disaster. Accidently pressing the accelerator is not unknown if you get distracted - turning around to get something off the back seat or adjusting your position on the seat etc.
Did you not spec. hill hold? That will apply the handbrake until you depress the accelerator more firmly (the first "stab" restarts the engine, a more deliberate depression of the accelerator also releases the handbrake).

I do have hill hold. 'Stab' was a bit too literal. Pressing the pedal accidently would have been a better term. I can recall doing that on several occasions over the years in other cars. I'm careful not to now.

Ahh yes, I can see that from your sig. - apologies. Too early in the morning :)

It wont always switch off the engine, depends on the loads, aircon, heater lights etc etc, quite an intelligent system.