Start-stop system

Raincheck

Sucking diesel..!
Reaction score
Can I ask forum members there opinion about the Start-stop system.

· Do you use it?
· How about heavy city traffic (start stopping all the time)
· Does it wear-out parts by using this.

I still don’t really know when it will Start-stop I know your engine temp needs to be at ? degrees.
But sometimes it does and then it doesn’t is there some kind of logic behind it.

Grtx Rain.

I hate it, I turn mine off at the first opportunity, You stop at a set of traffic lights and people automatically think you stalled your car when it turns off for 1 second then turns straight back on again.

Hi Wilonso,

You turned it off by using the button or can you disable it by default, now you have to switch it off every time you start your car at first.

+1 hate it....... currently driving S4 will my car's being fixed, always turn it off. If you live in major City or do a lot of City driving I guess it makes sense. Also do not like the park switch In lieu of a proper handbrake..... it's definitely geared towards U.S market, not a fan

I don't mind it so much and do actually use it. It just gets annoying when you hit some red lights, your engine stops and then they immediately turn green again! If I don't know the sequence of the lights then I'll just guess how long they've been red for and not bother taking my foot off the clutch. I still get caught out sometimes though!

I believe there is a combination of things that will let you use this Start-stop system.

Let I mentioned it does do it and it doesn’t maybe by using a combination you can take your foot of the clutch with-out stopping the engine.

Sometimes when I approach a traffic light I let it roll when its in neutral stop the car and let go of the clutch and it doesn’t cut out.

Heres how Toyota's works, would imagine very similar.

Engine must be at certain temp.
Battery must have certain voltage.
Handbrake or footbrake must be on.
Can be in gear with clutch down.

Then there's other variables, ac, fan speed, other electrical load etc. If any criteria is not met, it will either not operate, or will auto start to stop battery drain.
They are very complex systems. They also constantly monitor cam and crank, most cars don't need cam after starting.
This is so it knows what cycle (which pistons were up) is stopped on, so it just restarts on same cycle. If it didn't do this, it would have to crank engine until it knew, then start.

Last edited:
Hi Wilonso,

You turned it off by using the button or can you disable it by default, now you have to switch it off every time you start your car at first.

Its become such a habit that as i approach a junction which requires me to stop it triggers me to turn it off using the button.

In Manual it isnt so bad as it doesn't turn off if you keep your foot on the clutch, But my missus has it on her DSG and sometimes it is so trigger happy that we literally stop for 1 second at a roundabout and it turns off you then take your foot off the brake and apply the accelerator and because the foot coming off the brake and foot going on the accelerator happens at the same time as the engine coming on by the time its on the accelerator is down a little and you just get booted back into your seat.