Start/Stop playing up?

maninthestreet

Reaction score
Yesterday, on my way home from work Start/Stop failed to work completely - every time I came to a stop the drivers display showed the Start/Stop icon with a diagonal line through it. This morning it seemed to work, but displayed a few oddities - I came to a stop at a set of TL, and the drivers display showed the Start/Stop icon with a diagonal line through it for a few seconds. Then it cut in and stopped the engine, and showed the Start/Stop icon with no diagonal line though it. When I put my foot on the clutch, the car started, but the drivers display then changed to show the Start/Stop icon with a diagonal line through it. Any one seen this sort of behaviour?

Stop start has to meet a long list of requirements before it will activate.

Hvac has varied conditions that need to be met.
Engine temp and
Ambient air temp also affect it.

I never used it, just got into the habit of turning it off each time I got in the car! Everything has to be perfect for it to work.

Reactions: Tom.H
When I'm in Dynamic then stop start hardly comes on. In comfort or efficiency it comes on more often. But yeah, loads of variables need to be met before it activates.

Although if your car is fully warmed up, and you're not using too much fan or AC, it should come on.

I always turn it off. Hate it with a passion. Downright dangerous at times too eg when slowing for a junction or roundabout.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: glospete, Flying Scotsman, Audi Bairn and 2 others
Always turn mine off anyway. Hateful thing, especially on an S3.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman and Audi Bairn
Have it switched off unless I am in slow queue . Can be a pain at junctions in stronic . My previous manual was ok as you have more control of it.

What do you mean dangerous?
Stalls the car near the stop point then takes a short while to fire back up leading to dangerous situations eg cars coming at you while stalled.

TX.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman and Audi Bairn
Is the battery OK? A discharged or failing battery will cause the stop/start to shut down. Many cars on garage forecourts suffer this issue i.e the garage struggles to keep all the batteries charged and very often, on a test drive, the stop/start will not work.

I totally disagree with those who say that this system is dangerous.

Mine works seamlessly, just like it did in my last 2 MINIs.

If it does not start quickly enough for you, it's either faulty or you are perhaps taking risks pulling away in traffic?

I have no reason to believe the battery is beginning to fail. Car is only 6 months old. I do about 20 miles each weekday commuting.

What makes an S3 different in this respect?
Guess nothing major, but seems an odd thing on a performance car. Can’t quantify this feeling in any great way, just seems odd that’s all. There is also a chain of thought that it could be a bad thing for a hot turbo as the oil flow/cooling stops when the engine is off.

Reactions: Fatbloke
If it was a bad thing for the engine/turbo I very much doubt that Audi would build it into the car.

I seem to get on with it ok in mine. Although I do tend to turn it off in heavy stop-start traffic.

Worryingly Audi told me that it will be built in to the car soon (next models) so unable to be turned off!

TX.

Reactions: KenL
Yep had stop/start on two cars now and it works seamlessly when the conditions are right.

If it doesn't activate on certain occasions then obviously it's not supposed to, doesn't bother me one bit.

Reactions: KenL
I always turn it off. Hate it with a passion. Downright dangerous at times too eg when slowing for a junction or roundabout.

TX.

Always turn mine off anyway. Hateful thing, especially on an S3.

+1
Hate it.
Older versions I had on my A5 and S5 plus the wifes TT's and A4 didn't kick in until the car had come to a complete stop but this version is miles worse for the reasons stated above.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman
Start/stop (SS) influenced by engine temperature and outside ambient temperature - do the temperature displays you see on your dash look as they should? As said above, functions that depend on the engine running can cause SS to deactivate such as air conditioning and DPF regens (diesels).