SQ5 Start Stop Fault (Stuck in Neutral)

elrao

Reaction score
I've seen reports on other forums of issues with the automatic stop / start. Engine stops as expected, starts as expected but then when you try and accelerate you get an error on the DIS and you can't pull away.

Car appears to be stuck in Neutral, even though in D. Knock it into N and back to D and it seems fine.

Only picked car up today and happened on way home (less than a mile!).

Anyone had this problem and managed to get it fixed? Car is under warranty for another 4 months.

Had my SQ5 now for nearly 2 years from new and (fingers crossed) this has never happened to me. I would go straight back to the supplying dealer and get them to investigate under warranty. Alternatively if you know a good independent with VCDS they should be able to interrogate the system for any fault codes for you - which could save you some money too. Good luck and would be pleased to know the outcome. The 8 speed auto is supposed to be a very rugged transmission.

Bought the car privately, but have been in touch with the supplying dealer (as its also my usual dealer) and it's booked in for investigation under warranty.

I've got VCDS and I've run a scan and no errors. From what I've read, from other people who've had the same issue, this is not unusual. It seems like a communication issue between the ecu and the gearbox. One owner had the loom replaced and that has fixed it for him.

Hello elrao,

I am having the same issue. My car is an Audi Q5 2015 with 45000 km. I am The start stop failure comes up and the car goes to Neutral.
Pls let me know what did you do.

Thank you

I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find a fault. Hadn't happened to me since, but had happened once when my wife was driving.

Most of the time I'm in dynamic and I don't think stop/start engages as much, I also frequently disable it!