1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Start stop disable

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by chrisinns17, Sep 3, 2013.

1. chrisinns17

chrisinns17 Member

[Sep 3, 2013]
    On the new 8v a3 can start stop be permanently disabled .. Is there a setting on the mmi ?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 22, 2014]

3. mjcourtney

mjcourtney Well-Known Member

[Sep 3, 2013]
    Afraid not as this would affect the over-all emissions and therefore your tax bracket. It may be possible through VCDS, but I'm not sure anyone on here has tried.
  4. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Sep 3, 2013]
    There are options within vcds for SS, but whether they will be available for your chassis is another question, it will need logging into & researching.

I managed to do this on an 8P without any issues arising from.
  5. A3sportbackMark

A3sportbackMark Active Member

[Sep 3, 2013]
    When driving home tonight, I overrode the start stop by the button above the air conditioning unit, also switched off HHA. Car did not switch off when I stopped in Heavy traffic. The car was warm after 15miles of driving. Maybe I had foot brake pressed? oes this mean I have a faulty car?

So my car does override stop/start.....will confirm tomorrow, just in case I was dreaming as was playing with the sat nav!
  6. mjcourtney

mjcourtney Well-Known Member

[Sep 3, 2013]
    Slightly confused... It didn't turn off in heavy traffic presumably because you said you had disabled it by pressing the button on the dash?

And yes, you can override start/stop with that button, but only for each journey. The system enables itself each to time you start the ignition.
  7. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Sep 3, 2013]
    Yes the button disables for that drive, but all the time without the need for the button presses, may require coding.
  8. A3sportbackMark

[Sep 3, 2013]
    On the 1st point, yes, i also disabled HHA. I was surprised that the engine didn't stop. Will confirm when I next get in the car.

Wasnt aware of your second point, thanks for that.
  9. Daveotto

Daveotto Well-Known Member

[Sep 3, 2013]
    mark, HHA does not control the engine only the braking system, so as you describe HHA off and start/stop disabled will result in the engine staying on when you stop and go into neutral, just like an old fashioned car!
    Faizel likes this.
  10. A3sportbackMark

[Sep 3, 2013]
    Thanks Dave, I was playing with both options, just curious if I could disable start/stop to remind myself of old fashioned driving, won't be doing that again in a hurry! I'm sooo impressed with the Audi.

Just looked at the manual, you are quite right.
  11. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

[Sep 3, 2013]
    This is another reason I will never have an automatic car. At least with a manual the start/stop never engages unless you want it to. With an auto or automated manual, you're at the mercy of the gearbox/computer.
  12. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Sep 3, 2013]
    It is possible to drive an A3 with start/stop and an s-tronic gearbox without the system cutting the engine when you stop. I do it all the time. It requires releasing the pressure on the brake pedal just before you stop, which you should be doing anyway so that the car does stop with a jerk and then applying just enough pressure to the brake pedal to stop the car 'creeping'. If you want the system to work, just press a bit harder and the engine cuts out. Release the pressure and the engine starts. It just takes a little practice like a lot of things in driving.