1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Start button issues

Discussion in 'RS4 Forum (B5 and B7 Chassis)' started by StumpieT, Feb 3, 2014.

1. StumpieT

StumpieT New Member

Anyone had this issue with there motor. My pride and joy starts using the start button usually without fail. Then on the odd occasion the first attempt of the day there's nothing. Key in and turned all dash symbols are fine, vehicle check states OK. When I press the start button nothing happens, I can hear the relay click but the engine does not turn over. I open and close every door and the bonnet. This sometimes seams to solve the problem and I can start the engine. Then other times nothing I do gets her purring, just walk away, lock her up and return 30 to 60 min. She firers up. Anyone have any suggestions?
  2. MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly Well-Known Member

Could be the 'clutch down' switch, seems to be the most common thing causing starting issues (though it's usually a delayed start, or you have to hold down the button until the car starts). Not sure what role opening doors plays, but if it's intermittent then I'd wager a dodge sensor or loose connection somewhere.
  3. PetrolDave

PetrolDave Active Member

RS4 owners with similar problems on audzine have found that they've had to replace the starter motor.

The clutch switch being faulty just means that you have to hold down the starter button rather than just giving it a short tap.
    MartayMcFly likes this.
  4. Ashmcblue

Ashmcblue Member

Once had the opposite. My car "broke up" when I couldn't stop the engine!
  5. StumpieT

StumpieT New Member

I have changed the clutch switch at bottom of peddle, then the top clutch/ cruise control switch along with top brake switch. I must thank the parts staff at (YES) Audi great help and discount. Problem now a thing of the past