Star Performance Testing Day – Pt6 Uprated Brakes

Ess_Three

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
The factual bit:

As many of you know, I spent many hours down at Star Performance two days ago…12 hours in fact (08:45-20:45) having a play, testing a few things, having a load of work done, trying out a few things etc.

Firstly, thanks to Jim & Brian…12 hours and two meals later we were all knackered!
Credit where it’s due…anyone looking for decent service, advice and standard of work could do a lot worse than giving them a shout.

Secondly, none of this was free…labour rates, wheel alignment rates, dyno time, replacement parts…all paid for out of my pocket...I have the invoice for over £900 to prove it!!

Thirdly, these are our (mine, Jim’s and Brian’s) observations based upon our findings. All testing carried out with conditions kept as close to previous conditions as possible etc…some will disagree violently, some will agree…that’s your prerogative.

So, here we go again:

I had the Brembo Gran Tourismo brake upgrade kit sitting around in my spare room since I bought it from AmD at GTI International last year...but I decided to pull my finger out and have it fitted, so Brian @ Star did the needful.
We used Dot 5.1 fluid, and added some Pagid rear pads to replace the old EBC Greenstuffs.

I know there are many others on here with this kit fitted too so they'll confirm, It's fantastic. 'Nuff said.

Pedal feel is excellent, modulation is good, stopping power is amazing...I just can't imagine how much better the Porsche set up must be!

So, after hammering it a few times I can confirm that they are a big improvement over standard sized disks and uprated pads in standard callipers - Grant (Imols S3)- has the seatbelt bruising on his left shoulder to prove it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ABS on in the dry easily, if you hit the pedal hard enough.

It's been said before...but I'll say it again...well worth the cash.

Anyone looking for a reasonable cost upgrade over and above Grooved / Cross Drilled standard sized front disks with uprated pads for standard callipers, could do a lot worse than give AmD, Star Performance or anyone else who sells this kit, a call and get hold of a kit.

I'm impressed.

[ QUOTE ]
It's been said before...but I'll say it again...well worth the cash.

Anyone looking for a reasonable cost upgrade over and above Grooved / Cross Drilled standard sized front disks with uprated pads for standard callipers, could do a lot worse than give AmD, Star Performance or anyone else who sells this kit, a call and get hold of a kit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you feeling okay today Ess Three.

Youve actually just praised a modification, and said it was well worth the money.

i think you need to lie down

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Mark

You know...you are right...it doesn't happed that often does it?..me actually finding a damn good upgrade with no downsides.

I have no time to lie down...I'm too busy typing or hammering my new found plaything!!
I may even keep it a bit longer now...

Are these the same brakes as the leon cupra r?regards Ryan

Ess three, will this upgrade go under standard S3 wheels? someone has told me that there is 1.5mm gap! is this enough? as i would like to get more braking but do not fancy changing the wheels and rubber (4 x new goodyears)

I don't know for sure...I've never tried.

I believe they will go under the standard 17" wheels...but I don't know if you'll need a spacer or not.

I'd wait until the brakes from the new Golf V GTI start drifting onto the market, according to Autocar they are 354mm disks with four pot calipers.

garethj said:
I'd wait until the brakes from the new Golf V GTI start drifting onto the market, according to Autocar they are 354mm disks with four pot calipers.

Disc won't fit as they're 5x112 rather than the required 5x100mm.

Silversea said:
Disc won't fit as they're 5x112 rather than the required 5x100mm.

I like the jump from 2004 to 2006 lol..on the reply

Ess three, will this upgrade go under standard S3 wheels? someone has told me that there is 1.5mm gap! is this enough? as i would like to get more braking but do not fancy changing the wheels and rubber (4 x new goodyears)

Tried & tested, Yes the standard wheels do fit! :)

lol, he properly died at his computer waiting for the answer...

or look at the GOLF VI GTI ones :)

just bought some lcr brembo's for my s3 and got some braided hoses plus dot 5.1 ferrodo brake fluid is this stuff ok fluid wize got standered discs and donto what pads they are.
and will they go straight on to my s3 from th seat cupra tar

Won't fit on S3 discs as they are 312mm, you will need LCR 323mm discs if they are genuine LCR calipers and brackets

<tuffty/>

ye they are genuine lcr calipers tuffty he give me some discs with em they are the 323mm off the seat cupra but there standered disc's off that car thats all mate
just wondered if the carriers fit straight on tuffty im well happy only paid £250 for em with out hoses

Will fit fine but make sure you fit them on the right sides... bleed nipples need to be at the top..

<tuffty/>

Will fit fine but make sure you fit them on the right sides... bleed nipples need to be at the top..

<tuffty/>
cheers ill just look at dave's when im doing mine
will i notice a big difference in the brake performance on these to standered tuffty